Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dry Sausage and Bactoferm T-spx

Dry Sausage and Bactoferm T-spx 11 months 2 weeks ago #4358

I noticed in your video's, Umai Dry uses Bactoferm T-spx and hangs the dry sausage at room temp for 3 days. Is that Umai Dry's recommendation for most or all dry sausage recipes using T-spx?

If I were to use an old family recipe that calls for Bactoferm LHP, which using this we would cure sausages at 85deg temp for 10-12 hrs. Now If I were to use T-spx instead, if I were to hang sausages at room temp for 3 days can I expect sausages to be safe?

Thanks.
Nick
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dry Sausage and Bactoferm T-spx 11 months 2 weeks ago #4359

Nick,
That's an excellent observation. The fermentation temp/time recommendation is not from UMAi Dry, but comes from the spec sheet for Bactoferm T-SPX, so for your reference here are fermentation temp specs for both T-SPX and LHP that you mentioned.

Basically the starter culture lowers the PH of the sausage either quickly at higher temp or slowly at lower temp. Some starter cultures are quite aggressive and have lower final PH levels giving the sausage a very tangy taste. :S. The T-SPX culture is a traditional culture that works at lower temps and longer time and provides a mild flavor associated with Italian salami.
We use it because the fermentation temperature 65-75F matches that of room temperature and thus is available to most households.
  • Jim
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37

Dry Sausage and Bactoferm T-spx 11 months 2 weeks ago #4360

Thanks for the prompt response. How do you come up with the length of time it hangs? Why 3 days? I see nothing in the bactoferm t-spx guidelines or instructions that recommend a specific time frame.

Dry Sausage and Bactoferm T-spx 11 months 2 weeks ago #4361

Basically the lower the temps of fermentation the longer it takes to reach the desired PH. Our fermentation times are based on the recipe instructions in the excellent book by Stanley Marianski "The Art of Making Fermented Sausages" which by the way is available in the commerce section of this website. We have tested these fermentation times and find our results to be quite good.
Stan also has lots of these salami recipes on his site: www.meatsandsausages.com
  • Jim
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
  • Page:
Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.499 seconds