Posting pictures onto the forum (10 Jun 2015)

This forum server does not host picture files. Therefore the best way to post pictures onto this forum is to use www.photobucket.com and copy the link for the image to the text field of the forum post.
The image link starts with (IMG) http:.....etc.

Trimming prior to cooking

• Diorio
  • Diorio's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 1 week ago #8871 by Diorio
So today is the day I try my first rib eyes after a 45 day age. How meticulous to I need to be in trimming and removing every spec of "bark" or dark spots. There are some nooks and crannies that if I am to trim them some good meat will also be removed. Just dont want to make the family sick, lol. Although I'm sure that stuff on the surface will be "cooked off"

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 month 1 week ago #8872 by RRP
I only trim the hard outer most leathery skin. That means my trimmed aged meat is still dark brown. Here I go on my soap box now...why age your meat for 45 days only to trim off all that goodness to get back to "grocery store red"? Why even bother aging if you are going to toss the best part? When grilled that dark will turn delicious and the fat is a wonderful mellow! Honestly it has only been in the last few years that the commercially aged beef was trimmed at all! Ron

• jeromekhaberer
  • Away
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 month 6 days ago #8873 by jeromekhaberer
I generally do not trim anything from NY Strips or Boneless ribs. I just slice them to 1.5 to 2 inches and bag the aged pieces in Food Saver bags for freezing. Then I thaw them and cook in the bag with the sous vide technique. The flavors of the aged beef and the bark blend into one fantastic piece of steak, followed by a quick seer in a pan with butter and some garlic.

A heavenly experience! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeefIsWhatsForDinner

• BeefIsWhatsForDinner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 12 hours ago #8918 by BeefIsWhatsForDinner

jeromekhaberer wrote: I generally do not trim anything from NY Strips or Boneless ribs. I just slice them to 1.5 to 2 inches and bag the aged pieces in Food Saver bags for freezing. Then I thaw them and cook in the bag with the sous vide technique. The flavors of the aged beef and the bark blend into one fantastic piece of steak, followed by a quick seer in a pan with butter and some garlic.

A heavenly experience! :)

Sounds amazing and definitely going to have to try this. Thanks.

Moderators: ja09RRP
Time to create page: 0.466 seconds