Posting pictures onto the forum (10 Jun 2015)

This forum server does not host picture files. Therefore the best way to post pictures onto this forum is to use www.photobucket.com and copy the link for the image to the text field of the forum post.
The image link starts with (IMG) http:.....etc.

Refrigerator in a Cold Garage = Disappointment

• mkfgts11
  • mkfgts11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 3 days ago - 2 weeks 3 days ago #8923 by mkfgts11
So I bought an 18 LBS whole boneless ribeye, followed all the steps, the seal looked good and now I'm 29 days in and it doesn't seem like it's building the wax like hard bark I've seen in videos. It seems softer to the touch. Is something going wrong? It's in its own full size fridge and there's a smell like a dry age locker.

Link to pic below

s1064.photobucket.com/user/Michael_Franz...zpswwfyuzn7.jpg.html
Last Edit: 2 weeks 3 days ago by RRP. Reason: show the picture for you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #8929 by Jim
Where is your fridge located? Is it in a cold garage by any chance?

• mkfgts11
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 2 days ago #8932 by mkfgts11
Yes it's about 20 degrees outside our garage is not heated so it's gotta be at least 30's the fridge is set at 36

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #8933 by Jim
I think I see a problem here. The fridge is located in a garage that is below the inside temp of the fridge -it is a problem because it is not acting like a fridge anymore. The ventilation/cooling system shuts down because of low external temp and doesn't provide the needed airflow for the moisture to be wicked away from the surface of the meat. Your fridge is simply acting like an insulated box with no heat exchange or ventilation. This is the reason the "bark" has not formed.
If you look closely at the instructions for the UMAi Dry they say not to dry age in garage fridges for this reason.

• mkfgts11
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 2 days ago #8934 by mkfgts11
That begs the question is this piece of meat now ruined?

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #8935 by Jim
Thats a hard question to answer from looking at the picture. You are probably best equipped to answer that, since you can touch and smell the meat. I would move it into a fridge that is actually working inside the house if you can and let the "bark" form in there for a week or you can crack the bag open and smell the meat, if it smells rotten/sour it is bad. In these conditions the meat is likely to still be OK, but there is no guarantees.

Moderators: ja09RRP
Time to create page: 0.565 seconds