Hot tubbing steaks (definition thereof)

• RRP
  • RRP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 years 7 months ago #130 by RRP
For at least one hour before you plan to put your steaks on your grill place the individual steaks into new disposable plastic food safe bags and press out the air and seal with a twisty.

Place steaks in a large enough container and fill and completely cover with hot tap water. My tap water runs about 125 degrees.

During the hour change the water as necessary so that it stays at or above 100 degrees. This takes me about 4 refills.

After the hour your meat will have an internal temp suitable for immediate searing, though I do hit with kosher salt first. Sear at 650 or higher for about 2 minutes per side or 132° internal meat temperature and enjoy one delicious hot tubbed steak! Obviously a shorter time for more rare meat. Hot tubbed dry aged steaks definitely take less time than cold non-aged ones.

Personally I wouldn't do it with steaks any thinner than 1.5". The benefit of hot tubbing is to warm the cold center vs. the cold reddish blue center common to just hot searing a thick cold steak.

Try the hot tub - I bet it will make a believer out of you! I find this method even works well with a large thick prime rib.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pitmaster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #133 by pitmaster
Replied by pitmaster on topic Hot tubbing steaks (definition thereof)
Another great way to cook a thick steak is to put them in a 250 degree oven for 25 min. I place the steaks on a wire rack over a cookie sheet. Then sear them for 1.5 to 2 min on each side. I learned this technique form cooks illustrated and it works great. It gives you that nice sear on the ends and a consistent warm red center throughout.

• carne
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #136 by carne
Replied by carne on topic Hot tubbing steaks (definition thereof)
Does the oven method work good for 1 inch thick steaks?

Also, why wouldn't the hot tub method work fine for thinner steaks? It seems like it would just take less time to warm up the interior in the hot tub.

• RRP
  • RRP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 years 7 months ago #139 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Hot tubbing steaks (definition thereof)
I didn't mean to mislead you about steaks thinner than 1.5" - what I really meant was twofold. 1) thicker steaks really benefit from hot tubbing by getting the centers warm unlike the cold reddish blue core common to seared steaks. 2) when hot tubbing thinner steaks just sear for a shorter time as they will be quite warm before even putting them on and they will overcook quickly. Personally I think steaks cooked more than medium rare at most is a waste of beef. In other words I wouldn't even bother hot tubbing a thin steak if your intent was to serve it medium to well done.

• pitmaster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #150 by pitmaster
Replied by pitmaster on topic Hot tubbing steaks (definition thereof)
It's hard to cook a thick steak medium rare because by the time the internal temperature reaches 125-130 degrees, the peripheral meat is scorched. By preheating the meat in a hot tub or oven, less heat is required to raise the internal temperature which leads to less over cooking. Thin steaks don't require a lot of time to raise the internal temperature therefore they can safely be cooked over direct heat.

• mstang1988
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #232 by mstang1988
Replied by mstang1988 on topic Hot tubbing steaks (definition thereof)
You have to be careful with meat < 130 degrees when oxygen is depleted. Botulism is the primary threat and that environment is ideal for it's growth. For more info dig up Sous Vide cooking.

As s side note, I love cooking this way! Perfect medium rare all the time. It's just time consuming!

Moderators: ja09RRP
Time to create page: 0.307 seconds