Is a mini fridge ok to use?

• Djm115
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #7309 by Djm115
Is a mini fridge ok to use? was created by Djm115
My wife is giving me the evil eye about using the kitchen fridge, I have a mini fridge, doesn't have a freezer compartment. Can I use it to use the dry bags? :angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #7310 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Is a mini fridge ok to use?
In a nutshell the general answer is NO. Unless yours is an expensive model with normal operating cycles like a full fledged unit so as to draw off the moisture released in the aging process. You will actually run the risk of spoilage! Trust me - your wife is not the first one who doesn't get it! What I always suggest is "ask" for the very bottom of "her" refrigerator then place your UMAi Bag sub-primal on a rack there and push it to the back. Then to help hide it from her constant reminder place jars of pickles. mustard etc in front! Hopefully she will become a convert once she tastes the results of your efforts! Who knows...maybe next time she'll insist you use the top shelf!
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Djm115

• Djm115
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #7311 by Djm115
Replied by Djm115 on topic Is a mini fridge ok to use?
Ron,
Thank you very much, it is great to have someone like you here.

More
4 years 1 week ago #7318 by nepas
Replied by nepas on topic Is a mini fridge ok to use?
In my experience with curing i have found that you can use just about any size. Try to stay away from the wine cooler type that use the electronic style cooling with a fan. Fan can cause case hardening if used to much.

Fridges with a dedicated motor and pump work the best this way your temp controls will not fight to over ride the electronic style boards in the wine fridge.

We are full time RV'rs. 40' 5th wheel.

More
4 years 1 week ago #7319 by crustyo44
Replied by crustyo44 on topic Is a mini fridge ok to use?
Rick,
Just a follow up on your wine cooler suggestion.
I was given a large non working wine cooler and a friend of mine fitted a brand new compressor for very little money.
He also disconnected all controls including the thermostat.
It works now solely on an external electric temperature controller as a trial and it works great, temperature wise.
Humidity control is the next in line and than the tidying up.
No fan is working in the cooler but I am considering of fitting one to transfer some fresh air at a controlled rate.
Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Jan.

• Djm115
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
4 years 1 week ago #7320 by Djm115
Replied by Djm115 on topic Is a mini fridge ok to use?
Since this is my first attempt and hearing that a frost free Fridge is needed, and having a mini fridge, has manual settings, compressor no freezer compartment was my original question. I want build a cring chamber soon, but going in for some surgery kinda holds me up. But I'm picking up some meat tonight and Saturday I'm planning on making Salami, two days after fermenting and placing into the fridge I have my surgery.

I will be off work for 6 weeks watching it dry and can't do anything to eat it. I will post photos a long the way.

Thanks everyone, and if you have tips or anything please feel free to contact me

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.345 seconds