Mortadella Youtube

• carpii
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #13602 by carpii
Mortadella Youtube was created by carpii
I was watching this UMAi video on Mortadella..

The pork is finely ground, cured very briefly, then stuffed into UMAi and then cooked in an oven.

I'm wondering what the purpose of the curing salt is? Is it just to retain a nice pink color (and not as a preservative?)

Also what role does the UMAi bag play here? Could I not do just do this recipe with a normal vac-pac bag?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• carpii
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #13603 by carpii
Replied by carpii on topic Mortadella Youtube
PS: These forums do not seem to be terribly active, but all your Youtube videos have comments disabled.

Please consider enabling comments, even if you do not plan on offering support via that route. It would help users engage with other people using your product, and that can only be a good thing.

Just my thoughts anyway. It stands out like a sore thumb that they are all locked down.. and gives the impression you're not confident in your product to allow people to discuss it openly (which I'm sure isn't the case).

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #13605 by Jim
Replied by Jim on topic Mortadella Youtube
Thank your your comments. The purpose of curing salt is to make the Mortadella have a longer shelf life besides creating a specific appearance.
The UMAi Dry creates a dry surface skin that can be sliced easily. If you were to use a regular plastic bag it would have a moist skinless surface. There are of course many different ways one can make this sausage this is only one of them.
We have enabled comments on some of our videos but we felt they didn't add any value to the videos.

• carpii
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 months 1 week ago #13608 by carpii
Replied by carpii on topic Mortadella Youtube
> The purpose of curing salt is to make the Mortadella have a longer shelf life besides creating a specific appearance.

Ok, thanks for the info. I'm new to charcuterie (just on my 2nd attempt) so there's a lot of info to take in.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds