Concern and Questions about Safety

• bdales1668
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 4 weeks ago #14660 by bdales1668
Concern and Questions about Safety was created by bdales1668
I am considering buying an Umai dry bag, but I have a concern relating to danger with pathogens:

I am aware that in curing and aging meats, the bacteria Clostridium Botulinum, which releases toxins that cause botulism are of a large concern. Your bag, as I understand it, allows water vapor to leave the bag while not allowing oxygen into the bag, a.k.a., a semi-permeable membrane.

Now, I know that Clostridium Botulinum actually thrive and multiple rapidly an anaerobic environments (a.k.a. low oxygen) and are very temperature resistant, as they form spores. So, my question is, how is this bag, which creates an anaerobic environment (a.k.a. not allowing oxygen into the bag) safe against the very concerning bacteria that causes botulism? To me, I'm not fully understanding if this bag is truly safe to use, or if I should use some form of nitrate as a preservative on the outside of the meat instead...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 months 4 weeks ago #14661 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic Concern and Questions about Safety
Hello.
Due to the oxygen and moisture permeable character of the UMAi Dry® membrane, anaerobic bacterial growth has been shown to be a little concern. Refer to this study for details: www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0309174006000854
You will find links to further research on our original website: www.drybagsteak.com/dry-aged-steak-professionals.php

Dry aging geek

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #14664 by DParker75089
Replied by DParker75089 on topic Concern and Questions about Safety

bdales1668 wrote: Your bag, as I understand it, allows water vapor to leave the bag while not allowing oxygen into the bag, a.k.a., a semi-permeable membrane.

The portion in bold red is not correct. The Umai Dry bag does in fact allow oxygen to pass through, in both directions, which prevents the dreaded anaerobic environment.

https://www.drybagsteak.com/blog/dont-mistake-oxygen-for-air-or-umai-dry-for-a-vacuum-bag/2015/11/25/

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #14665 by Dil950
Replied by Dil950 on topic Concern and Questions about Safety
I used to grow Botulinum for making Botox haha... the main deterrent to it's growth along with a bunch of other things is temperature. The optimal temp for Botulinum growth is much much higher. The spores may survive in the fridge but they shouldn't multiply significantly if you keep the meat in the optimal dry age temp. Assuming your meat wasn't super dirty to begin with...
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Dil950.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds