• Darrel
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 18 minutes ago #15051 by Darrel
Hi all,

I am new to the group and before I start with my first prime rib in the bag, I am unable to see any postings here or on the web about how long to dry age to get the perfect balance - now I understand that each animal is different but I have seen folks go from 21 days to 90 days and more with the average around the 35 day mark,

I know the longer you dry age the stronger the taste will become and dryer the meat will be as well, so for me its not a competition to see how long I can go but to what the "sweet" spot is for taste and tenderness assuming we use the same cut of meat with good marbling.

Look forward to hearing some feedback to help me out.

Cheers

Darrel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 6 days ago #15052 by RRP
Welcome aboard, Darrel. The general rule of thumb I use just deals proportionally with the type of sub-primal being aged and its beginning weight. To me common sense says a strip loin ls thin and therefore will dry age quicker than essentially a "round thick" ribeye. Add to that then if the ribeye still has the bone then that bone will hinder the dry aging of the meat under the bone.

I mentioned beginning weight for a reason. Sometimes beginners don't want to start with a normal size sub primal and therefore not as long of time is needed.

And lastly I personally recommend absolutely no less than 35 days for a prime rib and find 45 days to be much better. 60 days is as long as I would go, but I know some experienced dry agers feel 90 is better.

I hope this helps start the answers flowing from others as well.
Ron

• Darrel
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 6 days ago #15053 by Darrel
Thank you so much for the quick response - you have given me more assistance than you know and I had not thought about the type of sub-primal used. really appreciate it

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds