Blood Sucker

• Jason
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #1202 by Jason
Blood Sucker was created by Jason
As I confessed in my "deep freeze" thread, I managed to let my brand new vacuum sealer suck in some "juice" during my very first bagging of a ribeye loin yesterday. :evil:

It was totally my fault. I clearly had moved too much fluid from the cryovac to the drybag. There wasn't anywhere else for it to go. Once it got its first "slurp", I mentally chalked up the unit as either being ruined, or too gross to ever use again. I drained off as much as I could from the unsealed bag, and didn't bother fighting to keep the rest of it out of the sealer. I just let it pass on through the vacuum sealer and would try to deal with it later that day.

I'm not posting this to encourage anyone to disassemble the unit. In fact, I would encourage you not to... It obviously will void any warranty that might be remaining on your vac, and there are electrical components inside that can be damaged or that can damage you. If you find yourself in a similar situation though and can't stomach the thought of beef blood "aging" inside your vac sealer AND you're ok with buying a whole new vacuum sealer if you break yours while trying to clean it..... I documented what I did to maybe help you decide if it is something you are comfortable doing. If you've ever peeked under the cover of an aquarium air pump, you will find this very similar.

Again, the smartest thing to do is to not get fluids in the vac. The next smartest thing to do is to not take it apart (though I'd also argue that it isn't very smart to use an appliance around other food when the appliance has who knows what growing in it... that was ultimately the main catalyst in my decision). In my particular case, the fix went very well yesterday and I again have a nice clean, fully functioning vac sealer. Your mileage may vary. As I stated in the website below, I am absolutely positively not a professional "snorkel vacuum sealer repairman" by trade (or anything even remotely close to it). :) In fact, yesterday was the first time I had ever even touched one. So take all of this with a grain of salt, and proceed at your own risk if you choose to do so.
Each image has a caption below it explaining what I did. To see the caption, click on the thumbnail and expand it to full-size.

How I cleaned my snorkel vacuum sealer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
9 years 2 months ago #1203 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Re:Blood Sucker
sorry you had the problem, but knowing that a vacuum is made to suck air and liquids then excessive liquid should have been a tip off. You need the surface of the meat to be damp in order to start the bonding process, but not dripping, running moisture. As for contamination IMHO you were correct to clean it so it would function properly, but from a sanitary standpoint I don't see it as a problem - after all it is sucking air in to the machine and not blowing air from it to contaminate the bag content.

Ron

• Jason
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #1204 by Jason
Replied by Jason on topic Re:Blood Sucker
Yes, it certainly should have been a tip off... No claim on my part that it went down in the history book as one of my more brilliant moments. :) Lesson learned though.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
9 years 2 months ago #1205 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Re:Blood Sucker
I didn't mean to sound critical, Jason, I just saw your thread as a "teaching opportunity" to subsequent readers in the same fashion that you did and you so eloquently shared with us. I just added my 2 cents to it.

Good luck with your aging and be sure to tell us how the primal came out!

Ron

• Jason
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #1206 by Jason
Replied by Jason on topic Re:Blood Sucker
I didn't take it that way at all... It really, truly should have been obvious what was going to happen!

I really appreciate all of the contributions that you and others here have provided on how/what to do. This is my contribution on what not to do. :)

More
9 years 2 months ago #1210 by Nevar
Replied by Nevar on topic Re:Blood Sucker
Dont think your the only one Jason, I did the same thing. :)

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.415 seconds