Bag came loose - Mold?

• Vindii
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #1220 by Vindii
Bag came loose - Mold? was created by Vindii
I was aging my first ribeye subprial (half) and it looks like the bag lost its vacuum and part of the bottom of the bag came off of the meat. In some spots where the bag is no longer touching there is a white spots that appear to be mold. Is this piece of meat junk or is it still ok to trim it off and use?

Meat has been aging since 6/8/11 and I wanted to cook it this weekend.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
7 years 11 months ago #1221 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Bag came loose - Mold?
Let your nose be your guide, but with trimming and no more "white" than you said I believe you are OK. Most likely this is a case where there was some form of bacteria present on the meat when it went in the bag. Good luck and please let us know the outcome!

Ron

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
7 years 11 months ago #1222 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Bag came loose - Mold?
BTW if you ever saw some of the sub-primals aged without the benefit of a Drybag and aged in a less than optimum condition you can't believe how gross the exterior looks!

• Vindii
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #1223 by Vindii
Replied by Vindii on topic Bag came loose - Mold?
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll post a couple pic tonight to help you better understand what they look like. I'm just starting this so Im not sure what it ok and what isnt.

• Vindii
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #1224 by Vindii
Replied by Vindii on topic Bag came loose - Mold?
There is a lot of mold on it. Not sure if thats normal. Im thinking its not because its only where the bag came off. It doesnt have any smell but I havent opened it yet. Here are some pics. Let me know if you think I should toss it.

Heres the top. This side was up and looks pretty good.

Other side

Close up same side

Sides

Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Vindii.

More
7 years 11 months ago #1225 by Jason
Replied by Jason on topic Bag came loose - Mold?
Bummer..... I'm less than a week into my first ribeye too, so I don't have much in the way of real-world experience to offer. I'm curious what others think though because I personally would have a hard time if I found myself in that position.

I'm typically the guy that's dumping the milk down the drain the moment it hits the expiration date, so I'm taking a pretty big leap with this whole aging business. :) On the other hand, it's an expensive chunk of meat to just throw out. Everything I've read says like Ron did above, and that's to let your nose be the guide. I've yet to experience what a "normal" aged loin should smell like, but "earthy" is a pretty common description. I suspect that it is pretty dramatic shift in "fragrance" when things go wrong... (and am pretty sure it will require opening the bag to make that call).

For my own curiosity, did everything go ok with the initial seal? Anything abnormal happen while it was aging? Just wondering if there were warning signs to watch out for on my own project.

Best of luck.... I hope it turns out to be ok!

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.342 seconds