Bag came loose - Mold?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 years 4 months ago #1250 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Bag came loose - Mold?
Vindii,

To each his own, but the amount of trimming has been discussed here several times. Personally I go rather light as I like the taste of dry aged beef. My motto is if you are going to trim off everything back to "grocery store red" then why bother to age the meat in the first place?

Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Vindii
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 4 months ago #1251 by Vindii
Replied by Vindii on topic Bag came loose - Mold?
I must not understand this correctly. If I trim back to red meat I am still getting dry aged steak. Just because its not hard and crusty doesnt mean its not aged does it?

So if my understanding is correct then you would think its better to age separate steaks instead of the whole subprimal? That would give you more surface area to age as both faces of the steak would age?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 years 4 months ago #1252 by RRP
Vindii wrote:

I must not understand this correctly. If I trim back to red meat I am still getting dry aged steak. Just because its not hard and crusty doesnt mean its not aged does it?

So if my understanding is correct then you would think its better to age separate steaks instead of the whole subprimal? That would give you more surface area to age as both faces of the steak would age?

As I said lighter trimming works for me and others have chimed in as well, but others want to trim to red - which is fine - it's your meat, your decision. Yes the inter red is still aged, but depending on the meat aged it stands to reason the innermost probably has lost little moisture. For instance a New York strip is narrow and the center will be more aged than say the center of a large rib eye.

As for cutting the meat first - no I would not do that - my reference is to the outer edge or what I can the rind. Personally I feel it mellows, accepts any rubs applied even if just simple Kosher salt and even changes its texture during a high sear due to being more dense. I compare that small amount of rind to a tasty beef jerky when cooked with the whole steak itself

• Vindii
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 4 months ago #1253 by Vindii
Replied by Vindii on topic Bag came loose - Mold?
But you would have more rind if you aged cut up steaks would you not?

I really just wanted to compare the taste of this 32 day steak to say a 21 day and see if I could taste a difference. Im just getting started at this so I dont know the differences yet.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 years 4 months ago #1254 by RRP
Vindii wrote:

But you would have more rind if you aged cut up steaks would you not?

I really just wanted to compare the taste of this 32 day steak to say a 21 day and see if I could taste a difference. Im just getting started at this so I dont know the differences yet.

Trying to age individual steaks would be a disaster IMHO as you you need to trim the "faces" and therefore have considerably more waste. When I refer to the rind I'm talking about the exterior edges - same as a loaf of bread that has a crust all over. I trim the two ends and only lightly trim the outer "crust" or "rind as I call it.

You are correct in trying different aging periods and you should do what suits your tastes. Personally I have aged 21, 28, 35, 45 and 60. I prefer 28 for NY strips and 45 for rib eyes - but again to each his own.

Ron

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #13930 by rezdm
Replied by rezdm on topic Bag came loose - Mold?
Hello.

Seems that I've just got the same issue. I tried rib-eye-in-bone and it did not glue to the fat cap, but did not stick properly to where meat was exposed to:

Here on the left site it's sort of "going off" meat (I tried to prevent this by rounding it with butchers twine):

So I unpacked this package and here's what I trimmed from the sides:
Right side, where it glued is almost ok, but left is something, ehm, different:

I opened left side and just flipped the right:

Looks not bad.

I trimmed the everything and:

These inner parts don't have any unusual smell or anything: very soft, quite moist But I am just ... not sure.

Is there a way to anyhow test, except for my nose?

Thanks!

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.511 seconds