Bag came loose - Mold?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 years 4 months ago #1226 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Bag came loose - Mold?
You have to make the decision yourself, but what I see in these pictures would not concern me in the least! I'd trim it in thin layers vs. one big whack...reason is I'll almost bet you dollars to donuts that mold is superficial and has had no impact on the meat itself. Like I was trying to explain if you are to go into a commercial aging unit you might be gagged by what you see. Let's face it - the unpleasant way of saying what aging is is letting the meat break down and the exterior is going to suffer the most and have the visible signs. Typically using a Drybag you will not see any mold since the bag material works to prevent that from happening. That's why I raised the issue that bacteria was probably already at work on that meat when you placed it in the bag.

I had food poisoning once and I never want that again nor would I wish it one anyone...on the other hand I do not believe you have a problem that careful trimming won't solve!

Lastly I repeat let your nose be your guide - aged meat has a nutty, earthy smell, but it is not an offensive rotting smell in the least!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Vindii
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 4 months ago #1227 by Vindii
Replied by Vindii on topic Bag came loose - Mold?
Thanks for the comments. I wasnt sure and wanted to ask. I'll open it up tomorrow and see how it smells. If it smells good Ill give it a try as long as it looks good after trimming.

The seal seemed good when I did it. It did seem to loosen up a few days later. I've read some sealing tips on this site that should help for next time.

Thanks for the help and any comments are welcome.

• Vindii
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 4 months ago #1233 by Vindii
I opened up the bag today and it smelled good. Nothing rotten or fowl so I thought Id see how they looked after trimming. I probably trimmed more than I should have. Heres a few pics. They tasted good.

Thanks for the help.

More
8 years 4 months ago #1234 by Jason
Replied by Jason on topic Bag came loose - Mold?
Wow, that is quite a feast! Glad it turned out to be ok.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. If I hadn't seen this thread, I'm not sure I would have gotten as far as the "nose test" if it happened to me.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 years 4 months ago #1235 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Bag came loose - Mold?
Thanks for the follow up Vindii. I was just positive that there was nothing to worry about. BTW superb meal there let alone presentation!

Ron

• Vindii
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 4 months ago #1236 by Vindii
Thanks for the comments guys.

The smell was the biggest thing for me. If it would have smelled any kind of funky I would have tossed it. It smelled fine.

I also do a little bit of home sausage making and I know that sometimes surface mold is ok and actually preferred. This was all on the surface.

I think I may do the next one a bit shorter. I trimmed this one pretty heavy just to be sure and ended up having to cut almost all of the fat off from the outside. I think that may have affected the flavor a bit. It was still good but there is definitely a different taste from a non-aged ribeye.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.490 seconds