Little white spots on coppa looks like mold?

• ZioLorenzo
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 4 months ago #4538 by ZioLorenzo
Was just curious I'm almost At 4 weeks in the fridge and the coppa has little white spots looks like mold, is that normal for coppa? I know it is on dry sausage, anyone have experience with that?
Thanks

"Comparison is the thief of joy. Stop measuring yourself against others and pay closer attention to the God-given beauty and brilliance inside of you."
John C Maxwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #4544 by Jim
Sometimes mold can appear on the drying coppa where the bag is not in contact with the meat, it is not a huge problem and is natural. When coppa is done drying one can just wipe it off with some wine vinegar soaked towel.

• ZioLorenzo
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 4 months ago #4546 by ZioLorenzo
Replied by ZioLorenzo on topic Little white spots on coppa looks like mold?
Ok just wanted to be sure, thanks!!

"Comparison is the thief of joy. Stop measuring yourself against others and pay closer attention to the God-given beauty and brilliance inside of you."
John C Maxwell

• Jerome
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 1 month ago #10022 by Jerome
Jim, I have a similar problem with mold spots. I made 23 Coppa that we’re cured, seasoned, placed in UMAi Bags and hung in my refrigerator on February 9/2018. I moved them into a temperature controlled refrigerator that I am attempting to make a Curing Chamber On February 15/2018. Since then I have tried to keep the temperature about 50 degrees (75% RH). Today I noticed some mold on some of the Coppa. I’m really concerned so I dropped the temperature to 34 degrees. I would like to send you some pictures so you can see what I’m dealing with. As expected, I really don’t want to loose any, please advise ASAP. thanks.

More
1 year 1 month ago #10023 by Jim
Mold growth accelerates at higher temps like 50F, that is the basic issue. If you have a curing chamber there likely is no need to use UMAi Dry®. The UMAi Dry® process was designed for use with regular home refrigerators. At this point if the mold is white you can probably let it go and hopefully the surface will dry to stop the growth.

• Jerome
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 1 month ago #10025 by Jerome
Jim, after a closer look is seems like there is a slight green color in some of the spots. I understand that I could just use the UMAi Bags and hang in the refrigerator until The desired weight is reached. I thought a Curing Chamber would be a good thing in conjunction with the UMAi Bags. I loved the results that were achieved last year and I would like to get this figured out and hopefully corrected. If some spots are green, what then. I can send some pictures.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds