Little white spots on coppa looks like mold?

More
1 year 3 months ago #10026 by Jim
If the spots are green, you are better off removing the UMAi bags smelling to see if the meat is still ok and wiping down with some vinegar and try to seal into new UMAi bags again and continue to dry in a regular fridge. Combination of curing chamber and UMAi is probably not the best.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #10027 by Jerome
Jim, thanks can you advise on how I can upload 3 pictures?

More
1 year 3 months ago #10031 by Jerome
Jim, I was lucky to have some extra UMAi bags left over so I took your advice and opened 15 out of 23 Coppa that showed signs of mold, wiped/brushed the mold off and re sealed the bags. As discussed, I lowered the temperature to 34 in the Curing chamber and now hopefully everything will be ok....Hopefully!

More
2 months 1 week ago #14497 by Jerome
I just wanted to follow up on the results of my efforts from last year for all those who read this string of posts searching for information. After I opened 15 Coppa that had mold, brushed off the mold and used fresh bags and sealed them everything turned out Great! The mistake was to put the Coppa with the UMAi bags into my curing chamber which was set at 55 degrees. Just follow the instructions and cure the meat in a common refrigerator and all will be fine.

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 months 1 week ago #14498 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic Little white spots on coppa looks like mold?
Jerome,
Thank you for taking the time to update us. Indeed, UMAi Dry® is designed to be used in a modern frost free refrigerator in regular use located within a consistently room temperature environment. Any temp higher than 34-38F is likely to experience mold growth, even with well-cured product.
We really appreciate that you picked up the thread and provided this important perspective.

Dry aging geek
The following user(s) said Thank You: CYCOLE1

More
2 months 1 week ago #14499 by Jerome
BagLady,
Your welcome. I felt is was important for me to inform the people that read the thread and people that may read the thread in the future of this information. I’ve successfully been curing several different kinds of meat for many years but without the UMAi Dry bags however I’m sold on the products, The bottom line is that the UMAi Dry bags and the recipes provided are absolutely great. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CYCOLE1

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.326 seconds