Meat Drawer

• LS1M
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago #6215 by LS1M
Meat Drawer was created by LS1M
I would like to try dry-aging some ribeye or loin but I don't have a fridge I can dedicate to the process. My significant other is willing to give up the meat drawer at least for a 30-day test. Concerned that it won't get much air circulation though. It's a side-by-side with bottom freezer, glass shelves, LOTS of activity/kids constantly raiding it.

So can you dry-age in a meat drawer, or am I setting myself up for failure?

Thanks!
-Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #6216 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Meat Drawer
Mark, welcome aboard. I'll be perfectly blunt with you...trade your girlfriend something for permission to climb up out of that meat bin! I would never try to age meat in that confined space! You need air circulation and the fact you will have frequent open and closure of the refrig is fine - in fact that is good as it encourages air turnover. With a bottom freezer that already shows that the meat bin will be the coldest zone in your refrig. Too cold plus poor air flow will not be good! Initially SWMBO didn't cotton much to thinking the meat would be just sitting there looking back at her, so what I did was to place my UMAi bagged meat on an elevated wire rack and pushed it to the very back and then built a wall of jars with pickles, mayo etc in front of it so it really wasn't easily visible. That worked, plus as the meat aged and darkened and hardened she realized that it was not a horrible looking dead cow in her refrig like she I initially envisioned. Then the proof and winning touchdown was after she ate my first dry aged steak and the approval for the future efforts was a done deal! Good luck but you really do need to do some good negotiating to get out of that bin. Ron
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by RRP.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #6217 by RRP
Mark,
You mentioned glass shelves and I mentioned a wire rack. My refrig also has glass, but you need wire to allow the air to circulate. What I did was to buy an inexpensive coated desk organizer from Menard's and then shortened the 4 legs. It is sturdy, cheap and should last "forever"!
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Ron
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by RRP. Reason: pix added

• LS1M
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago #6222 by LS1M
Replied by LS1M on topic Meat Drawer
OK good advice. How critical is the temperature, then? I may need to get a good thermometer to make sure it's in the right temperature range - any recommendations in that regard? I don't trust the little Walmart ones.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
4 years 9 months ago #6228 by RRP

LS1M wrote: OK good advice. How critical is the temperature, then? I may need to get a good thermometer to make sure it's in the right temperature range - any recommendations in that regard? I don't trust the little Walmart ones.

Mark, like stated in our Help & How To Section:

Temperature requirements for dry aging: Dry age at temperature between 34-38F. Typical household refrigerators and restaurant coolers are designed to protect food items like fruits, vegetables, fish and meats from spoilage without freezing them. Please make sure that your refrigerator maintains temperature between 34-38 F to ensure proper aging and prevent spoilage. Ensure that the UMAi Dry® material is in contact with the beef and there are no air pockets inside the bag.

Ron

• LS1M
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago #6236 by LS1M
Replied by LS1M on topic Meat Drawer
Well, that's not really what I was concerned about. I've found fridge thermometers very unreliable and the difference between 34 and 38 degrees is only a millimeter on the dial. I think what I'm going to do is put some jello next to the meat and use my thermapen so I can get an accurate temperature reading. Ordering my kit today :)

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds