Meat Drawer

• LS1M
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago #6251 by LS1M
Replied by LS1M on topic Meat Drawer
I got my kit and I've bagged my first cut of meat :) A 12.5 lb choice bone-in ribeye. I put the meat, fat cap side up, on a cookie sheet suspended by a couple of water bottles, so there's a good 2" of air around it. Overnight the fridge got down to 33.8 degrees (temp of a glass of water per my thermapen) but it's probably closer to 40 now that the door's been open some. Hoping that it's going to be OK. I think they put small compressors on these new refrigerators to save electricity so it takes a while to cool back down again.

Question: I know that I'm not supposed to use a dorm or beer fridge because of the lack of air circulation, but what if I put in a small fan to circulate inside? Something like a computer cooling fan.

Thanks
-Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
4 years 9 months ago #6252 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Meat Drawer
Mark,
yes a small fan can help, but the reason the small dorm style or tiny beer refrigerators don't work for aging is they do not remove the moisture. While the fan would help as well as at least 2 or 3 times a day opening and closing the door to turnover the air you are much better off drying in a normal refrig.
Ron

• LS1M
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #6262 by LS1M
OK it's been five days, how am I doing?

The bag seems really loose. Should I cut & reseal? Or would that let bacteria in?

Thanks
-Mark
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by LS1M.

• LS1M
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #6263 by LS1M
Well crud. These bags are thin. Found two little holes, probably just made them by moving it on the wire rack. Patched with tape, cut & resealed, back in the fridge...

Merry Christmas by the way. Love my new toy :)

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
4 years 8 months ago #6264 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Meat Drawer
Mark, I watched your video - too late to tell you now, but that was pretty rough handling. After I bag mine I place it on the rack and don't touch it again until it is done. Handling risks making holes plus causing the bond to break that has been formed. But it sounds like you found the problem and resealed...You'll be fine! Merry Christmas! Ron

More
3 weeks 15 hours ago #14847 by johnnguyen81
Replied by johnnguyen81 on topic Meat Drawer
How much space do i need in my fridge to do this? My fridge space is limited, but i can make room if i need to.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds