What went wrong? Striploin FAR 2 hard, tough & dry

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 month 1 day ago #14705 by RRP
I'm going to agree with you. Plus the very age of the cow when slaughtered has a lot to due with it as well. The younger the cow then the more tender the meat will be.
Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 11 hours ago #14756 by BagLady
I would recommend going less time with a strip and longer with a boneless ribeye, because of the fat composition. Also, some folks tie the meat after sealing in UMAi Dry®, to get a rounder shape. The professional chefs I've worked with just trim them pound the meat into the shape they want--like clay.
What was the texture/moisture experience like when you cooked the steaks to rare or medium rare? Usually, dry aged steak is described as juicy--even with no blood on the plate--simply because the beef flavor has been intensified with the moisture loss.
It would be good to know what your experience was.

Dry aging geek

• gimme_donuts
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 days 22 hours ago #14773 by gimme_donuts
Replied by gimme_donuts on topic What went wrong? Striploin FAR 2 hard, tough & dry
cooked as in the picture, didnt feel juicy, pretty dry...and tasteless. I don't know if its this meat or if its the drying that caused that, it didn't intensify meat taste, it made it pretty tasteless. Actually never had such a tasteless striploin.

I'm now in the process of a new Australian stiploin m3-4 marbling (Thomas Foods Angus Pure Signature Grain Fed). The meat is much thicker. I am able to buy a single steak as well of the same meat, so I will be able to compare. I hope the umai version will have some fine taste this time comparatively.... aiming for 35 days this time.

File Attachment:

• vlad_ageru
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 days 17 hours ago #14775 by vlad_ageru
Meat looks a little bit over-cooked. For dry aged meat I'd definitely go with a ribeye ( mainly due to the shear size & thickness ), and recommend cooking it sous vide ( you can get them pretty cheap these days ).

Here's my first try with a bone-less ribeye, aged for 30 days.
Going for 40 days next time.

ibb.co/HKpTf26
ibb.co/nR9JzhW
ibb.co/C0v4yCP
ibb.co/sCfTMPF
ibb.co/dBG5hSL

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds