Wild Boar Proscuitto

• chefhow
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #7755 by chefhow
Wild Boar Proscuitto was created by chefhow
Hi, I am using a dry age bag with the pad to dry age a Wild Boar leg to make prosciutto.
I cured the leg in salt for 5 days and then rubbed down with smoked paprika,black pepper, garlic and toasted onion powders before putting it in the bag in mid December.
Around the 1st of January the bag lost its vacuum completely, but no mold has been growing on the leg at this point.
I was planning on letting it age until March 1st as long as it continues to look like it does now, which is clean.
The meat itself is slightly soft to the push in the middle but still has a cured feel to it.
Should I be concerned about the bag?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #7756 by Jim
Replied by Jim on topic Wild Boar Proscuitto
The bag "loosing vacuum" is not a concern since UMAi Dry is not a vacuum bag. The meat will continue to dry.
Did you cure for 5 days in a "salt box"? or did you use a measured amount of salt and did "equilibrium cure" for 5 days?

• chefhow
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #7758 by chefhow
Replied by chefhow on topic Wild Boar Proscuitto
I cured it in a salt box.
there was no instruction on how to do this, its purely a guess/trial and error for this first attempt. If it works I will be thrilled!!

More
3 years 6 months ago #7765 by Jim
Replied by Jim on topic Wild Boar Proscuitto
If you cured it in the salt box for 5 days it absorbed quite a bit of salt and probably cured all the way. I was asking because if you used equilibrium cure, you need longer than 5 days for a large piece like that. The salt has to go to the center of the meat to get an even cure.

More
3 years 6 months ago #7777 by rebeltruce
Replied by rebeltruce on topic Wild Boar Proscuitto
What was the weight of your fresh ham, and what size bag did you use...I am currently making Prosciutto the traditional way, and would have loved to use Umai Dry Bag....My hams, I have four curing now, are between 2--25lbs.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #14449 by tylormiranda
Replied by tylormiranda on topic Wild Boar Proscuitto
Did your experiment work? What size bag did you use, and for what size hog? Thanks!

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds