Posting pictures onto the forum (10 Jun 2015)

This forum server does not host picture files. Therefore the best way to post pictures onto this forum is to use www.photobucket.com and copy the link for the image to the text field of the forum post.
The image link starts with (IMG) http:.....etc.

Ordered my bags and will be starting with Ribeye!

• BeefIsWhatsForDinner
  • BeefIsWhatsForDinner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 months 3 days ago #8839 by BeefIsWhatsForDinner
Hello everyone, been a long while since I joined back almost 4 years ago and it's finally time to take this adventure into aging beef. My plan is to get a 12-16 lb rib eye for steaks and go 45 days with that while also aging a 3-4 bone prime rib for 38 days to do for New Years. 38 days will just have to do, poor planning on my part.. the new year is sneaking up fast.

I'll be bagging on Wednesday (as long as my bags show up by then) and plan to take some pics to update the thread. I've read and read so many tips and tricks through out the years that I feel like this should be a piece of cake but I still plan to make some practice seals with the provided stuff that comes in the kit. I got. Wish me luck, I'll update as soon as there's an update.

Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BeefIsWhatsForDinner
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 4 weeks ago #8842 by BeefIsWhatsForDinner
Update!

Thank you UMAi, my bags showed up today and the meat is now in the bag. Both pieces were picked up from my local store at $7.99/ / lb are Angus Choice rib eye and the sub primal came in at 18.4 lbs and the piece for New Years is 7 lbs. Below are a few pics of everything and now the journey begins.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #8844 by Jim
Hi Jon,

This is a perfect sealing job and a bone-in piece at that. You are going to love the results!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeefIsWhatsForDinner

• BeefIsWhatsForDinner
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 4 weeks ago #8850 by BeefIsWhatsForDinner
Thanks for the reply Jim.

I'm counting the days!

• BeefIsWhatsForDinner
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #8851 by BeefIsWhatsForDinner
Hello UMAi,

Firstly, Happy Thanksgiving! Second, I have a question and hope someone can answer me real quick!

The sub primal bag seems like it didn't get as good of a vacuum and is starting to develop a good size air pocket on the front where the bag comes together at the seal end. Should I be concerned about this and maybe try to reseal? I would understand if it was a couple weeks in but at only a few days I'm a bit concerned.

Another thing that may be a factor is that there was nothing to drain from the original package and the meat wasn't very wet. It smelled great and beefy and seemed like a nice piece of beef, has anyone else run into this and is this a potential problem... maybe I should have asked this earlier? Maybe the reason I'm getting the air pocket is because it's not bonded like it should have and it's drying / shrinking a little earlier?

Thank you,

Jon

Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by BeefIsWhatsForDinner. Reason: Added image

• BeefIsWhatsForDinner
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #8852 by BeefIsWhatsForDinner
Went ahead and resealed with much better results. I'm much happier now with the vacuum, it worked better this time around because of the vacmouse position. Yeehaw

Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by BeefIsWhatsForDinner. Reason: add image

Moderators: ja09RRP
Time to create page: 0.769 seconds