Posting pictures onto the forum (10 Jun 2015)

This forum server does not host picture files. Therefore the best way to post pictures onto this forum is to use www.photobucket.com and copy the link for the image to the text field of the forum post.
The image link starts with (IMG) http:.....etc.

One side is black, the other still reddish..

• Weinberg
  • Weinberg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #8958 by Weinberg
I am on day 16 of a planned 35 for a 12.5 lb whole Prime Angus loin of NY cut steak. The top side (fat) is black as expected but the underside is still very reddish. Am I OK? I've turned the meat over a couple of times and still the same phenomenon. Did I do something wrong? Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #8959 by RRP
Not sure where you got the idea that the fat should turn black. I sure have never experienced that and I've aged some for 63 days. Also not sure why you are turning the meat over several times either as you are running the risk of puncturing the bag, which you may have already done which might explain the black at a mere 16 days. Have you smelled the package? It should be starting to smell nutty, but if it smells bad you may want to stop now. Ron

• Weinberg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 4 days ago #8996 by Weinberg
Thanks so much for answering. I'm sorry I didn't see this until now. It's now 4 weeks. The top looks like all the properly done loins I've seen here and on YouTube. The bottom is reddish and, yes, there are areas on the bottom where there is certainly less than 80% contact. I'm not sure if it smells nutty (my nose says "eh" and my heart says "yes" but I don't know... It certainly doesn't smell rancid; I'get that for sure! So what to do? I thought two weeks ago that maybe the bottom would catch up, I can see now that it won't. If it's edible, it's time. If it's not, I guess I have to suck it up and start again... Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 month 4 days ago #8997 by RRP
I sure wouldn't be so quick to give up! After you decide to steak it out your nose should be your guild. As long as your refrigerator was working properly during that time then the meat itself should not be contaminated. Keep your fingers crossed, but I think you should be ok. Ron

• Weinberg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 4 days ago #9001 by Weinberg
Thanks for your quick reply. So, if it is bad, my nose will tell me? It will smell rancid? (I'd know rancid and it is not) And, if it's not rancid, since I am at 30 days, I can probably check it out now. Thanks again. BTW, is "Big Green Egg Aficionado" a blog or something. I'd definitely be interested in reading.... Cheers

• Weinberg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 4 days ago #9002 by Weinberg
And could the "bagginess" underneath be accounted for by the shrinking of the meat during aging?

Moderators: ja09RRP
Time to create page: 0.577 seconds