7 days in and and strong sweet smell normal?

• Cap
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 4 weeks ago #13739 by Cap
Bone in Rib roast at 35-38 degrees @ 60% humidity and fan. Looks fine and crust is forming. It is smelling beefy blood sweet though....little freaking out. Leave it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 month 4 weeks ago #13740 by RRP
You're fine! Aged beef takes on an "earthy" or "nutty" smell. Can't say I call it sweet, but you are worrying for NO reason! BTW being a bone in then that means the aging is slower, since the meat closer to the bone is not aging as fast. Think of it this way - aging meat is a matter of reducing the tasteless water in the cell structure. How long do you plan to age it?
Ron

• Cap
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 4 weeks ago - 1 month 4 weeks ago #13741 by Cap
Was shooting for 42 around Thanksgiving. I'll let it ride Thanks... It is my first time trying this so uncharted territory for me.
Last edit: 1 month 4 weeks ago by Cap.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 month 4 weeks ago #13742 by RRP
Sounds like a great idea. Just a little bit of advice...with the bone in the bag you risk puncturing it when moved - so no handling is the best!
Ron

• Cap
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 6 days ago #13803 by Cap
42 days in the morning, we will see very soon )

• Cap
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #13816 by Cap
Well The 7 bone rib eye is cut and de-boned. Started at 24 lbs but realized the bag was to small and had to sawwsall 4 inches of the bone off to make it fit. I did grill the short ribs from that section. Not a total loss. So A good amount of trimming was due And ended up with @ 11 lbs of steaks and another 2 lbs of good scrap. So Just a little better than Cosco cut prices for prime steak. Tried a little piece on the grill, drier for sure taste ok as a bit different than i'm used too. The jury is still out on this one.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds