• Sawhorseray
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #13748 by Sawhorseray
First Boneless Ribeye was created by Sawhorseray
After making a wonderful coppa with the UMAi Charcuterie Kit I just received my dry steak packet. I've watched the videos on Youtube and have a question before I proceed. Do folks trim some of the fat surrounding the top of the ribeye before placing it in the dry steak bag, or just go straight from the cryo bag to the UMAi bag? Thanks in advance for any help. RAY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #13749 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic First Boneless Ribeye
Great to hear of your coppa success!

As for trimming excess fat from a rib eye I personally have never trimmed any of mine. I feel the aged ribeye fat is SOOOO tasty! I guess the best answer for your question is another question...when you prepare a store bought ribeye for grilling do you cut the fat off back to the meat?
Ron

• Sawhorseray
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #13750 by Sawhorseray
Replied by Sawhorseray on topic First Boneless Ribeye
Thanks for the reply Ron! I always get a whole standing rib roast, or two, right around Xmas when the price is right. I get them untrimmed, take off the ribs, and cut nice thick boneless ribeye steaks with all the fat left on. From watching the video it appears there's some trimming to be done when the process has completed after 28 days. I'll leave it on and trim when the dry steak bag has performed it's miracle. Thanks again! RAY

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #13751 by RRP
Again - as a personal opinion...a bone in ribeye will NOT dry as well on a mere 28 days/...35 to 45 days will make MUCH more of a difference...but then it's YOUR decision - not mine!
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sawhorseray

• Sawhorseray
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #13752 by Sawhorseray
Replied by Sawhorseray on topic First Boneless Ribeye
I don't do bone in Ron, the rib bones come off as soon as I get home from the grocery store, BBQ beef ribs later, easier to evenly cut 1 &1/2" steaks. I've been making sausage and smoking my own ham and bacon for over twenty years now, got tired of bring wild hogs to the butcher. I've got a PS Seasonings Pro 100 smoker that doubles as a roaster, I do my steaks on a weber. The guy on the video says 28 days for boneless, I guess a extra week wouldn't hurt anything. Or would it? RAY

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #13753 by RRP
Seems like everyone on the subject of dry aging beef has their own opinion! Some stop at 21, some at 28, and some of us at 45 days!
All I know is my personal like is at 45 days for boneless ribeye works for me!
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds