Already dry aging Rib Roast to bag or not to bag

• Spaknives
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 6 days ago #13813 by Spaknives
Hello, I am new to the Umai dry aging bags. I have dry aged a few items without bags. I just order the Artisan kit with the vacuum sealer.
I just butchered a prime steer I raised. I let the carcass hang for 20 days in our walk in cooler. I butchered the animal 3 days ago and cut a nice 5 rib roast. It has been resting in a frost free fridge by itself on a rack uncovered since then.
My question is when my kit arrives in the mail (probably 5 or 6 more days) should I go ahead and use the umai bag on it then? Or will the roast be to dried out by then?
Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated! Thanks, Shane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 5 days ago - 3 weeks 5 days ago #13814 by RRP
Shane, welcome aboard!

UMAi Dry® requires a really moist, gooey meat surface for the membrane to bond and form the protective environment. It is designed for use with previously commercially cry-o-vac-ed meat. The precious meat you raised and had butchered, has already been aged and dried will likely not be improved by the application of UMAi Dry®. Dry meat surface = UMAi Dry® “failure"
Ron
Last edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by RRP.

• Spaknives
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #13815 by Spaknives
Replied by Spaknives on topic Already dry aging Rib Roast to bag or not to bag
Thanks Ron! That is kind of what my suspicion was. I am still looking forward to using my Umai Dry kit on lots of other projects. Can't wait for it to get here!

• Spaknives
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #13818 by Spaknives
Replied by Spaknives on topic Already dry aging Rib Roast to bag or not to bag
How about frozen meats? I know it is way better to use fresh or wet aged meats, but can a frozen cut of meat be defrosted and then bagged while it is still moist?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #13819 by RRP
If frozen while still in the original cry-o-vac-ed bag then yes, otherwise you risk not having good adhesion to the meat. Sorry...
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds