The bag is not firmly in contact with the ends of my strip loin, is that okay?

• Lindust
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 6 days ago #13861 by Lindust
i.imgur.com/gjfy83V.jpg

i.imgur.com/t0cGcx8.jpg

My strip loin was too big for the standard bag for its size so I had to use a larger one so its wider on the edges but that isn't a big deal.

In the first picture you can see the ends are okay but the middle is loose and not attached.

In the second you can see one edge is completely loose. I've tried forcing the bag against it and keeping it tight but it never really bonds.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 week 6 days ago #13862 by RRP
You could try to force more of the air out by cutting a tiny hole in the center there, insert a drinking straw and suck the air out. Then quickly patch the hole with a piece of strong packing tape.
Ron

• Lindust
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 5 days ago #13867 by Lindust
I tried this and it did not work out as expected.

Can I always reseal it with a new bag?

My biggest issue is the meat is too small for the largest bags and too big for the strip loin bag.

If I cut a slide off or cut it in half and rebag it will that be an issue?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 week 5 days ago #13869 by RRP
Just as long as you are working on a clean surface with a clean knife then if I were you I would not waste a new bag. Then if you DO find the area of the hole, just cut off the end of the bag AFTER cutting off the meat enough to give you room to reseal the bag. That make sense?
Ron

• Lindust
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 1 day ago #13872 by Lindust
Realizing the bag would not bond I decided to take the strip loin out and transfer it to another bag.

I trimmed the cut a little because I was putting a strip loin into the largest bag available as it wouldn't fit in the other as it was.

As I resealed it the seal was perfect and I was happy with the results but I did notice that afterwards(6 hours later) the reduced strip loin shows white mold on the surface.

i.imgur.com/UImVTrY.jpg

I'm starting to get a little concerned. You see I put two different strip loins in the fridge a day apart and one seems to have bonded and shrunk significantly and the other(this one) seems to have been a disaster to work with and it does not appear to have shrunk nearly as much and now white mold is appearing.

What should I do?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 week 15 hours ago #13878 by RRP
If by chance you bought that meat say from a butcher shop or even a grocery store then most likely it was too dry for the bond to form to start with which caused the problem.

You need to follow the Clean Transfer instructions plus these three keys for successful bonding:

1) gooey moist meat surface
2) resting meat side down, fat cap up for the first week (which will GUARANTEE the necessary 75-80% surface contact between meat and UMAi Dry®)
3) modern frost free fridge

Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds