• Sawhorseray
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 weeks 17 hours ago #13921 by Sawhorseray
Trimming Question was created by Sawhorseray
I'm a week away from unveiling the first of the two whole ribeye roasts I've got aging in UMAi bags in the fridge, this will give me 34 days of aging in the UMAi bag, the second one will go the full 45 day treatment. I plan to trim away the crust on the two ends and was wondering if I should leave the crust intact around the circumference of the individual steaks. Will the crust soften using the Sous Vide method of cooking. Most of the internet videos I've watched show guys removing just about all the crust. I've also watched a few where the crust was left on when being cooked over coals and the taste was very favorable. I'm thinking of salt. pepper, garlic powder, and a few sprigs of thyme on the steaks when I vac-seal them for the freezer, that way they'll be ready to drop right into the Sous Vide bath. If the crust remains "leathery" in the sous vide I'd be inclined to remove it. RAY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
4 weeks 8 hours ago #13922 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Trimming Question
I wish I had a dollar for every opinion posted on the internet as gospel for dry aging as well as trimming - I would be a rich man!

Trimming boils down to your personal tastes. To me I will carefully only remove the very hard top most of the aged meat. When that meat is grilled then "to me at least" it is so wonderfully tasty! That hard outermost turns mellow! But again - it is personal taste. My wife has not yet developed the acquired taste of that treat, so after grilling she will cut off that delightful area and give it to me! Obviously when we have company that's another story so I will trim her's and any one else's steak before grilling.

Now as for the effect on dry aged steaks using sous vide that bark also mellows, but unless you are like me the appearance of sous vide steaks is not all that appealing! What I do is then sear them quickly at high heat to achieve the mallard look.

Good luck and report back to us with your opinion of your results!

Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sawhorseray

• Sawhorseray
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 6 days ago #13923 by Sawhorseray
Replied by Sawhorseray on topic Trimming Question
Thanks for the quick reply Ron. I think what I'll do is leave the crust on a couple of steaks and do a taste comparison test. Company is coming New Years Eve for a sous vide aged ribeye dinner, those steaks will have to be trimmed for a nice presentation. RAY

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 6 days ago #13924 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Trimming Question
I hear you, but like I said...

"Now as for the effect on dry aged steaks using sous vide that bark also mellows, but unless you are like me the appearance of sous vide steaks is not all that appealing! What I do is then sear them quickly at high heat to achieve the mallard look."
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sawhorseray

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds