• Kwaziekeller
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #13934 by Kwaziekeller
First timer, 35 day dry aged rib roast. was created by Kwaziekeller
Hey guys and gals,

I just trimmed out my first attempt at dry aging with an Umai Dry bag. It was a 19.8lb certified Angus USDA choice bone in prime rib roast (7 bone). I wanted to try a "cheaper" grade of beef before going all in on high end beef. After 35 days it weighed in at 17.4lbs before trimming out. Looks and smells great. I didn't have any major issues at all, and the Umai Dry bags make it super simple.

Around day 20 or so, I noticed a puncture from one of the bones. I used my shop vac to pull excess air out and patched the hole with some scotch tape. I recommend following Umai's guidelines and covering the bones with parchment or paper towels.

No real issues, carved it into 11 ~12oz steaks and one 32oz (2lb) cowboy cut (which is getting cooked currently (reverse sear)). I trimmed away the pellicle on this first steak, and not much else. Tried my best to only remove the hard outer shell of the pellicle.

Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Kwaziekeller. Reason: Removed IG link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #13935 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic First timer, 35 day dry aged rib roast.
WOWSER! Good job, good report and good eating in your future!
Ron

• Kwaziekeller
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #13936 by Kwaziekeller
Replied by Kwaziekeller on topic First timer, 35 day dry aged rib roast.
Thanks Ron. You were a great help along the way.

You guys have no idea how much I frequented the forum along the way. I was very concerned early on, and definitely stressed about air pockets. I wound up getting a decent vacuum/seal and after a few days I had probably 80% adhesion. I lost some adhesion when I was looking for the hole because I wasn't paying attention to the air bubble pulling the bag away from the meat as I pressed looking for the hole.

In the end, everything went well. Perfectly really. That earthy/beefy smell is hard to replicate. I kept smelling it throughout the day after carving the meat and every time it made my mouth water.

I did a reverse sear. In the oven at 250°F until an internal temp of 118°F. Allowed to rest, then back into the fridge to cool for about 45mins. Got the charcoal going and the grill screaming hot, and seared the meat (top, bottom and sides). Unfortunately I did "overdo" one side a bit as there is some brown between the crust and the pink. I shoot for coast to coast pink/red, depending on desired done-ness (I go for medium-rare).

Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Kwaziekeller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ordehaas

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #13941 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic First timer, 35 day dry aged rib roast.
BEAUTIFUL!!! Obviously you lost my phone number to invite me over to enjoy your steaks! Maybe next time huh?
Ron

• Kwaziekeller
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 1 week ago #13974 by Kwaziekeller
Replied by Kwaziekeller on topic First timer, 35 day dry aged rib roast.
Thanks Ron! Anytime you wanna swing by, I'll pull a couple out of the freezer!

More
2 months 1 week ago #13978 by sthom
Replied by sthom on topic First timer, 35 day dry aged rib roast.
Cook on that steak is killer! Was medium rare temp/color the same for this dry aged beef as non aged?

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds