New to UMAI

• beefster
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #13937 by beefster
New to UMAI was created by beefster
I am 3 weeks into aging a boneless Prime Rib, I have been getting a slight odor that can best be described as a mild cheddar cheese type odor. Have got great contact from the UMAI bag, it all looks good. I have it in a garage refrigerator on a rack with 2 inches of height from the glass shelf. I make it a point to open and close the refrigerator and freezer doors probably 6 or so times a day. The refrigerator is a modern 2 yrs. old with a frost free freezer.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #13938 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic New to UMAI
Welcome aboard!

Do you have anything else in that refrigerator? or had there been other foods stored there before starting the aging? As long as your refrigerator is working properly there really is no need to open and close it daily.

Aged beef has an earthy, nutty smell which could be a mild cheese smell to you. Sounds to me like you'll be just fine!

Ron
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by RRP.

• beefster
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #13939 by beefster
Replied by beefster on topic New to UMAI
Thanks Ron for the quick reply. I guess you could say earthy smell. Yes the refrigerator is working perfectly. I keep a thermometer in fridge and it is operating between 34-37 F. I also just laid down a prime Strip Loin 3 days ago. No change in odor from laying this last piece down. I am guessing all is good. I am thinking 35 days on the rib and see how it eats. Thoughts?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #13940 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic New to UMAI
You are welcome!

35 days is a solid goal for a ribeye simply due to the mass as opposed to a strip loin. You might want to try even 39 or 42 next time.
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds