New to forum and using umai

• iandroo888
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 2 weeks ago - 7 months 2 weeks ago #13958 by iandroo888
New to forum and using umai was created by iandroo888
Been seeing this bag used by various youtuber's and thought this would be easy. Finally picked up a ribeye/strip loin pack from amazon and a 16.81 lb USDA Prime Boneless Ribeye from Costco and decided to try it out. Using the FoodSaver® V3240 Vacuum Sealing System, i tried to vacuum as best as i can and seal it. I didn't realize you had to drain the bag before seal so i kind of transferred some juices over. Later drained and wiped the opening well before i sealed. First the 45 degree portion before putting that air strip and sealing again. Had noticed it kind of opens easily so i moved it with care to not open the seal

I had later moved this over to a friends house as he had a 2nd fridge in the garage too that he uses regularly. I have it on a cooling rack, not elevating it as much as some do but its something...

after 3 days

after 9 days. he mentioned its starting to smell like its spoiling. im going over later today to check. any tips? or what am i doing wrong? should i switch bags? double seal? i hope it didn't go bad. thats like $200 going into trash :(
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by iandroo888.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
7 months 2 weeks ago - 7 months 2 weeks ago #13959 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic New to forum and using umai
As long as your friend's refrigerator is working properly and is a frost free unit OR if not a frost free, but is opened at least daily there should be NO reason to sweat it! As meat ages it takes on an earthy or nutty smell.

Ron
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by RRP.

• iandroo888
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #13961 by iandroo888
Replied by iandroo888 on topic New to forum and using umai
Hi ron

im still gonna go over to check it. just incase it maybe opened up or something. Better to be safe than sorry?

frost free most likely. i dont see frost in fridges besides those big top opening freezer units

is it normal to smell something through the bag?

Its an older ish unit but they use it quite regularly.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #13962 by RRP
Yes the UMAi Dry bag material is unique in that it allows the moisture and thus smell to penetrate, unlike a plastic bag. I am not being critical, but I wish I had a dollar for every newbie who thinks their meat is going to rot in one or two weeks!
Ron

• iandroo888
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #13963 by iandroo888
Replied by iandroo888 on topic New to forum and using umai
yeah i know its supposed to allow moisture out while keeping everything out from coming in. no ones an expert on their first try but i can imagine how many people are worried ! ! expensive piece of meat ! ! are there smells i should look out for that may think its going bad?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #13964 by RRP
Your nose will tell you if it was rotting as it would smell rancid enough to make you gag. Please do not mistake the earthy, nutty smell as being rancid! Please tell me what and how you feel after visiting your buddy this afternoon.
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: iandroo888

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds