Dry cured Chorizo Sausage, Too Soft?

• ddthome319
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 14 hours ago #13960 by ddthome319
Dry cured Chorizo Sausage, Too Soft? was created by ddthome319
Very new to the dry curing club. Mixed up first batch 11-12-18, "Spanish Chorizo". 5lbs pork shoulder (butt) 5 tsp coarse kosher salt (measured to 3%), 1 tsp cure #2, 3 tsp Dextrose (glucose) .2%, 1 tsp sugar, 3 tsp pepper,10tsp paprika, 1tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp culture (as per suggested by UMAI). Par froze mixture, ground mixture, stuffed in UMAI 50mm tubing. Hung in oven 72 hours with bowl of water per instruction . Placed in good standard refrigerator on racks. Sausage lost 30 to 35% of total weight over about 4 weeks. Boy, that's a lot of info to get to a question, but wanted to be sure everyone knows all pertinent details. Sausage looks pretty good from the outside, seems too soft to the touch and when I cut into it, it is hard to cut , because of it's texture. Today is 01-6-19. Upon inspection, I detected some mold forming inside the tubing. As per suggest from some on this forum, I cleaned it off with light vinegar/water solution. What's next? Do I continue to age, until I get a harder texture? I have tasted it several time over the last few week and have not suffered any problems ( could of had more taste). Any suggestions? Thx, ddt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 13 hours ago #13965 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Dry cured Chorizo Sausage, Too Soft?
Feel free to run your questions by the Facebook group UMAi® Salami, Charcuterie and Dry Aged Steak. There is for a crowd of experienced UMAi Dry® sausage makers there. They have created a really strong platform with the closed Facebook group.

Meanwhile I am wondering how large a plate you used and how you stuffed it. A cold grind sounds spot on, but was it a large plate and a gravity stuffer? If the particles were too small or mashed by using a KitchenAid-type auger stuffer, there would be insufficient air space for good fermentation and drying.

If the plate and stuffer were good, then the common practice (recommended on aforementioned FB group) is to vacuum seal the finished product for several days to allow the moisture to equalize throughout the sausage.

Ron

• ddthome319
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 8 hours ago #13970 by ddthome319
Replied by ddthome319 on topic Dry cured Chorizo Sausage, Too Soft?
Ron, If by plate you are referring to the size of the holes to grind the meat, I used the largest plate that came with my meat grinder (there are 3 sizes). As for the suffer it is a hand crank operated (brand Zeny) that holds 6 lbs of meat. The finished grind looked very much like the video shown by Umai products. I will try the vacuum seal method you mentioned. Thanks for your suggestions. ddt

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds