• ordehaas
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 5 days ago #13975 by ordehaas
First Timer was created by ordehaas
Hello,

My apology if I repeat questions that already been asked. I tried to search/look for answers before.

I have a few questions before I put my meat in the fridge.

1 - My rack for the meat is only 0.5" high (standard baking rack). I know the meat should "breath" from all sides, should I raise the rack with small pieces of wood to about 2"?

2 - I know the UMAi bag meant for home refrigerator but I wanted to inquire if there is effect to the amount of time the refrigerator is being open. Its the secondary fridge but still we are using it a few times a day.

3 - The butcher near me had bone in Ribeye and since is my first time Im going without the bones (I dont want surprises:) ). I hope, him removing the bones in the butcher shop wouldn't contaminate the cut for aging. I see on all the videos that the cuts are coming sealed. Obviously, it was removed as well but maybe before it even got to the butcher.

Will appreciate your answers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 week 5 days ago #13976 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic First Timer
Welcome aboard!

#1 - yes raising it would be good!
#2 - actually it is best to dry age in a refrigerator that is opened daily!
#3 - your butcher should be working in a clean environment. When the UMAi Dry® bag collapses during the sealing process you may very well have a ripple where the air did remain. During the aging process these areas I call the peaks and valleys expect the valleys will not get as dark as the peaks so don't worry!
Ron

• ordehaas
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 5 days ago #13977 by ordehaas
Replied by ordehaas on topic First Timer
Rob, thank you very much for the quick reply!

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds