• Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 3 days ago #13985 by tlandonevans
Bag Came Loose After One Night was created by tlandonevans
Help! I need to know whether to re-bag!

I started dry aging a bone in rib primal last night (first time). I wasted my first bag after getting a good vacuum but not a good seal (the bag was tight on the meat until I opened the vacuum sealer and then the seal/vacmouse connection wound up not being good enough). So I went on to my second bag and thought I had a much better result. The seal seemed good and the bag/meat connection seemed good. It wasn't skin tight like vacuum sealing a freezer bag, but it seemed like what we're looking for here from what I've seen in YouTube videos.

However, when I checked on it first thing this morning, it had come loose.

Should I re-bag this afternoon? If so, any tips?? I've only got one more bag, so if this doesn't work it looks like I'm going to have to cut up another primal into steaks and put them in my freezer (which doesn't need anymore steaks right now...)

Please let me know what I should do...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 week 3 days ago #13986 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Bag Came Loose After One Night
Sorry to hear that, but your very first picture tells the story...as was mentioned in the flyer that came with your order. To wit:

BONE ALERT! When dry aging bone-in cuts, remember:
1) To prevent punctures, sharp bone tips must be covered with parchment paper or folded moistened paper towel.

Then your pictures which followed show that you placed that meat with the bone side down on your rack...so punctures were enviable.

At this point you really only have two options. First to go ahead and slice that meat into steaks for freezing OR use a new bag and follow the point about protecting the bag from those sharp bones.
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: tlandonevans

• tlandonevans
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 3 days ago #13988 by tlandonevans
Replied by tlandonevans on topic Bag Came Loose After One Night
Wow! I’m an idiot! (Guess that’s what I get for barely glancing at the included directions...) And you sir are a Saint!

I’m about to try the parchment paper thing right now with my last bag. Fingers crossed

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 week 3 days ago #13989 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Bag Came Loose After One Night
Saint? Guess you don't know my wife of 52 years, huh? LOL!!!

Keep in mind that you need not have a "perfect vacuum" so don't fret if some air remains. due to getting trapped.
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds