• Spetersel85
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 months 4 weeks ago #14044 by Spetersel85
1 week in and may have problems :( was created by Spetersel85
Hello All!

Umai Rookie here and need some help!! Just started my first Umai Briskett but I am not sure I am doing this correctly. I had some issues with the initial seal but eventually got it sealed properly, but after a week i noticed that there seems to be some extra air in the bag. I also am not sure what the meat should look like after a week in the bag, but to my untrained eye it doesnt look great. Can somebody advise as to what I should do? I also see a small amount of white spec that appear to possibly be mold, is that bad?

Should I take out and check meat (spoiled)
Should I rebag?
What should the meat look like after a week?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
5 months 3 weeks ago #14046 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic 1 week in and may have problems :(
Please relax - you are not having issues! Those white spots are merely congealed fat. Air in a bag is not unusual and as long as you have 75 to 80% contact you are fine. At just one week into the drying process you will start to see some darkening, but not much. Please remember that the UMAi Dry® bag is a unique breathing material and does not have the sam characteristics that a Food Saver bag has.

Ron

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
5 months 3 weeks ago #14047 by RRP
I should have asked if the meat is a bone-in like a ribeye? Also placement is important... did you start the dry process with the fat cap up or meat side down? Either way it is best to flip 7 to 10 days after the start so that will ensure gravity provides the best contact between UMAi Dry® and meat of the majority critical surface.

Ron

• Spetersel85
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 months 3 weeks ago #14048 by Spetersel85
Replied by Spetersel85 on topic 1 week in and may have problems :(
thank you so much ron!I have seen some darkening which is why I was a bit concerned. It is boneless & started fat side up but flipped it over.

• Spetersel85
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 months 1 week ago #14128 by Spetersel85
Replied by Spetersel85 on topic 1 week in and may have problems :(
just out of curiosity, I am about 3-4 weeks in to the dry aging process on a full brisket. I did not trim the fat off the top of the brisket, and the fat cap isnt really breaking down in the process, is this normal?

The bottom of the brisket looks like it is aging pretty well, but not so sure about the top at the current moment.

thank you for your help!

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
5 months 1 week ago #14130 by RRP
That fat cap is still fine. By the time you are through aging it will merely have turned just a bit brown.
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds