About to age my FIRST top sirloin

• Jjones1980
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #14085 by Jjones1980
About to age my FIRST top sirloin was created by Jjones1980
Greetings all the way from Charlotte NC. So I just ordered my Umai bags and I am about to do my first ever dry age sirloin. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. What tips can you all give me? My refrigerator is only a few years old. Will the aging meat make my fridge smell really bad? Should I be concerned with rotting? If so how do I prevent it? The vacuum process looks pretty straightforward. I've watched every video imaginable on how to seal them. What is the best length of time to age a top sirloin? I will be doing a big bone in ribeye if this goes well. All advise is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #14087 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic About to age my FIRST top sirloin
Welcome aboard.

First of all if your refrigerator is a frost free, new unit working properly you will be fine. Secondly it will not smell bad! The meat is NOT rotting when you are dry aging...you are merely extracting the tasteless water in the meat.

A sirloin is a thick piece and personally I like at least 45 days, but I have gone 60 days and it turned out well.

When you dry age a bone in piece you must place folds of parchment paper over the cut bone areas otherwise when drawing down the air in the bag and puncture the UMAi Dry® bag.

Perhaps the biggest tip I can give ant newbie is don't waste all your bags when sealing your first bag. I must have sealed my first bag 7 or 8 times until I got the hang of how my sealer is going to work with the bag.

And lastly as you asked what tips I could give you? I would take the time to scroll and read topics on this forum which cover many questions and solutions over the years!
Ron

• Jjones1980
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #14088 by Jjones1980
Replied by Jjones1980 on topic About to age my FIRST top sirloin
Thank you for your quick reply. I watched someone do a bone in roast and he covered the bones with parchment paper. Very good information. So now instead of doing 35 days I will do 45. Thanks again. You rock.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds