• patdinolfo
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 5 days ago #14174 by patdinolfo
28 days in. Rebag? was created by patdinolfo
All,

I am 28 days in to my first umai dry aging process. I've got a 14lb ribeye roast (boneless) in the bag. After 28 days, I'm getting no off odors and good weight loss (currently clocking in at 11 pounds 2 oz.). My concern is the seal on the bag. There are many spots (particularly around the edges) where there is no contact. Also, there isn't a particularly tight membrane forming between the bag and the meat even when there is contact.

Should I leave as is, or take it out and rebag? Aiming for 65-70 days total age.

Would love to post pictures, but can't figure out how to attach. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 month 5 days ago #14176 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic 28 days in. Rebag?
Your dry aging effort sounds just fine! Please relax! You only need 70 to 80% of the meat surface bonded to the bag. The two biggest hurdles that all newbies have are thinking their meat is going to rot - which it isn't! And/Or a spouse who thinks that!

As for posting pictures you need to have a picture host such as PhotoBucket.
Ron

• patdinolfo
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 4 days ago - 1 month 4 days ago #14180 by patdinolfo
Replied by patdinolfo on topic 28 days in. Rebag?
Thanks, Ron. After reading some other posts, I think I'm not seeing that tight bond between the meat and the bag because I bought my ribeye roast out of the butcher's case, and not from a cryovac bag, thus the meat was much drier when I put it in the bag.

If that membrane never really forms, I assume I'm still in okay shape? (So long as no rotting, etc.)

Here are some pictures of what I am working with 28 days in. Please let me know if you see any reason to rebag.

https://ibb.co/GcJdJK9
https://ibb.co/6rY1XJ0
Last edit: 1 month 4 days ago by patdinolfo. Reason: Photo

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 month 4 days ago #14181 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic 28 days in. Rebag?
While a wet transfer from a cryovac to a UMAi bag is ideal that does not mean your meat is doomed! As long as your refrigerator is frost free and in proper working order to draw off the moisture being released you are fine! Please....your meat is not rotting!
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds