Funky bone smell after aging rib roast 45 days

• Meat4You
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #14240 by Meat4You
Hi Ron, I purchased a seven bone rib roast and decided to age it 45 days. In the process of bagging it, I placed two plastic strips on top of the exposed bones so that they would not puncture the bag when sealing. After 45 days, I removed the roast from the bag and removed the plastic covering the bones. I did notice mold staring to grow around the edges of one bone and only a very small amount. I also noticed the smell from the bones to be extremely cheesy and funky and almost to the point of being unbearable if I sniffed it for 5 seconds straight. This smell was nothing compared to the 45 day striploin I had aged a couple of months ago. The meat smells fine as there was no mold growing on it. I did cut a few ribeyes with the bone in. Is it safe to eat with the smell from the bone being so pungent and funky? Also, should I just leave the bones uncovered the next time I age a bone-in ribeye so that the moisture could leave the bones?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Meat4You
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #14264 by Meat4You
Replied by Meat4You on topic Funky bone smell after aging rib roast 45 days
Any thoughts on this Ron? Is it normal for the bones to smell really bad if covered?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #14265 by RRP
In all these 9 years I've been the moderator I have never tried to age a bone in. Also I don't recall any posters mentioning this issue. I do know though a bone-in benefits from a longer aging time since the bone is blocking the moisture release.

Now as for consuming the meat your nose is going to be your best judge. I know if it was mine I will give it a try - but that's just me.
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds