How Long On Strip Loin

• sren58
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 1 week ago #14318 by sren58
How Long On Strip Loin was created by sren58
I'm a first-timer. Happy to say I had no problem sealing with my Foodsaver. I am today sitting at 33 days. Looks as expected from pictures I have seen...large infected scab. I'm a little befuddled on how long, most say 28 to 35 days, others longer? I'm getting a little on the anxious side. Tomorrow is going to be a decent day outside that I can fire up my Daniel Boone pellet grill, and as I have read, I can vacuum seal and freeze the rest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 1 week ago #14319 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic How Long On Strip Loin
Welcome to the forum!

Thing is with a NY strip loin it is more narrow in thickness than say a rib eye or sirloin. As I posted recently to an inquiry similar to yours my past experience has shown basically no difference in weight lost from stopping at 35 or going to 45 days. So suit yourself and DO enjoy the proof of your aging efforts!
Ron

• sren58
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 1 week ago #14320 by sren58
Replied by sren58 on topic How Long On Strip Loin
Why thank you Ron. I think I'm going to run on the anxious side and go for it tomorrow. There's always the next one. Probably go with ribeye next time. Perhaps if I have some time I'll set up some picture links of my experience thus far.

• Dil950
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 1 week ago #14335 by Dil950
Replied by Dil950 on topic How Long On Strip Loin
Had some people over so could cook more of my bought dry aged NY strips at the same time. Had a taste test with 28 day, 35 day, 42 day, and 49 day. This time around, the 49 wasn't nearly as tough or salami like as the first one. So I'm guessing the first cut came closer to the end or thin part of the strip?

Anyways the group opinion was 35 days had the right balance of tenderness and aging taste. Some people (who admitted like stronger tastes in cheese etc) liked the 42 and 49 day more. But it was noticeably less tender in the 42 and 49 day steaks.

Not sure if that helps since everybody has their own tastes but I think our final verdict was if you want a more distinct dry age flavor you probably want to go past 35 days..but there's a trade off in tenderness.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.357 seconds