Price of bone in rib roast?

• Kmarley56
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #14450 by Kmarley56
Price of bone in rib roast? was created by Kmarley56
I am about to embark on my first umai bag journey. I’m going to dry age a standing rib roast for 40 days. I was wondering what price people are generally paying. My local butcher shop has me quoted at $11.49/lb for USDA choice. Obviously price will differ with the market and the region. (I live in the St.Louis area.) That seems high to me. Thoughts??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 2 days ago #14451 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Price of bone in rib roast?
Welcome aboard! Yes that sounds high as they will merely be handing you a cry-o-vac without their doing any slicing or anything! i'm just up here in IL about 150 miles from you so I believe our market prices should be comparable. Question though, when he quoted you that price he did know you want the whole sub-primal didn't he?

BTW since you are aging a bone in then since that bone will be hampering the release of moisture I'd recommend 45 days rather than just 40, but to each his own.
Ron
Last edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by RRP.

• Kmarley56
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 2 days ago #14452 by Kmarley56
Replied by Kmarley56 on topic Price of bone in rib roast?
Yes he knows that. I got him down to 10.99 and he assured me it will be a superior cut of meat as opposed to the non-local butcher that quoted me 8.99. If you say 45 days then 45 days it is! I’ve never had a real dry-aged steak so I want to be sure I get at least a little of the “funk” that I hear about. Thanks

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #14457 by chris
Replied by chris on topic Price of bone in rib roast?
Price is interesting for me as the best most reasonably priced meat i can buy here in Adelaide, for me is from Costco. What they offer in Australia is a boneless sub primal rib eye. It is usually a 150 day grain fed Black Angus, 7 bone equivalent and around $30 per kilo. that equates to $13.60 Aussie dollars per pound or with the exchange rate $9.67 US per pound. There are currently two rib eyes and another brisket in the fridge in UMAI bags

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds