There is an Air Bubble on my Rib

• DaniDry
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #14466 by DaniDry
There is an Air Bubble on my Rib was created by DaniDry
Hello fellow dry meat enthusiasts, I'm a newb to the site and to the whole dry aging in general. After procuring a 28 pounds Rib roast and trying as much as possible to seal it with a very cheap (I promise I'll upgrade soon) vacuum sealer I had at hand. I just went on and checked the meat after 5 days and noticed there is an air bubble on the bag (that is probably all the air that the cheap sealer couldn't get out, also I noticed some myoglobin water inside the bag.

I suspect the water comes from the humid paper towels I used to cover the bones from puncturing the bag, and after checking the bag is perfectly sealed although not totally adhered to the meat due to all the extra air.

I would appreciate some ideas on what is the best approach here, should I just let it be and let it dry as much as possible in the areas where the membrane is making contact, try re-sealing the bag, or just not risk it and surrender this delicious rib eye to a non dry aged future and roast it as it is now, procure a new one after upgrading the vacuum sealer and try again?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #14467 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic There is an Air Bubble on my Rib
Welcome aboard, Dan!

As long as your refrig is a frost free and it is in proper working order you should not have an issue. If I were you I would locate the spot or spots where the seal did not take or whereto hole is. You can do that by carefully pushing the air pocket(s) and listening for the escaping air. Depending on where the leak is located you can do 1 of 2 things.

1) is place a piece of good quality strong mailing tape over the hole. or
2) puncture a small hole and insert a flexible straw or piece of tubing into the hole and continue to squeeze out any captured air. Then just suck any remaining air as best you can - then quickly yank out the tubing and seal with more of that tape.
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaniDry

• DaniDry
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #14473 by DaniDry
Replied by DaniDry on topic There is an Air Bubble on my Rib
Thank you for the reassurance Ron.

I checked the bag and the air is not going anywhere which means the bag is properly sealed, just not vacuum, even with all air I think I can get a very good contact on the fat side. Is it a good idea to puncture it to let that air escape and tape it as you suggest, or can it be let alone witha all that air in there?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #14476 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic There is an Air Bubble on my Rib
The choice to puncture or not is your call. If it was mine I'd just leave it alone from here on out!
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaniDry

• DaniDry
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #14477 by DaniDry
Replied by DaniDry on topic There is an Air Bubble on my Rib
Thanks again Ron, I'm not you but my gut feeling tells me I can trust you. I'll let the Rib continue it's resting period for another 40 days.

The wait is the hardest part after all

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.329 seconds