• Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 1 week ago #14470 by Dil950
Too much myoglobin? was created by Dil950
Hi,

My first attempt with A striploin turned out great so I started a ribeye roast. It’s only day 3 but something that’s kind of worrying me is I may have left too much of the bag juices in there. It’s basically red all over now...I think it may have even spread over the fat, which was basically white when I started. I also feel like I didn’t do as good of a job getting the air out as I did the first attempt. It’s sitting on a rack so the bottom and top look good. But on the sides and face there are some dime sized air pockets. Here’s a pic

Ribeye pic

So do I need to be concerned about the myogoblin or air pockets enough to rebag? It’s still moist enough I feel like I can rebag and still get it to stick...or is it all good... thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: bubb4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 months 3 days ago #14528 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic Too much myoglobin?
In my experience, there is no down side to to much purge--apart from it takes a few more days for the modern frost free refrigerator in regular use located within a consistently room temperature environment to wick off the moisture and enable the bond to form. I wouldn't waste another bag.

Dry aging geek
The following user(s) said Thank You: bubb4

• Dil950
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 3 days ago #14530 by Dil950
Replied by Dil950 on topic Too much myoglobin?
Yep, after about 5 days the majority of the surface was bonded or hard. There are a few small spots that seem softer but definitely dryer than when I started. The only difference is the pellicle looks a whole lot more dark blood red than my last try. But I won’t worry about it. Thanks for the reply.

Day 11

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 months 3 days ago #14531 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic Too much myoglobin?
It will darken, and that thin "gloss" of myoglobin will almost flake off when you are done and go to trim. Actually, most of it will have adhered to the UMAi Dry® membrane and peel right off. Trust that you have the gorgeous creamy white fat hardening nicely.

Dry aging geek

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.329 seconds