Day 45 on brisket

• afb91
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 1 week ago #14488 by afb91
Day 45 on brisket was created by afb91
So I am 45 days in and my fat cap on my brisket is noticeably hard. I should back up and say this is my first dry age experiment. Looking back i probably should have waited before starting the bone in rib eye also... Anyway I started this 45 days ago and it has slowly been aging i noticed that the seal became very loose week 1 and I chose to ignore it and not reseal the bag or use a new one. Today I noticed a stronger smell from my fridge. The smell is not nutty or musty but a bit foul. I noticed on the underside of the bag which is resting on a rack their is a soft portion of the meat. This seems very different than the rest since it is relatively hard. Did I ruin my brisket? Is it spoiled? What do I do???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 1 week ago #14489 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Day 45 on brisket
Well, sir, there are the obvious questions which come to mind...is your refrigerator a modern frost free unit and has it been operating in the proper temperature range? The smell you describe really makes me wonder.
Ron

• afb91
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 1 week ago #14490 by afb91
Replied by afb91 on topic Day 45 on brisket
Yes the fridge is in fact a new Samsung that isn't more than three years old. Completely frost free and operating within the recommended temperatures.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 1 week ago #14491 by RRP
OK - then I have to wonder about your bagging method. Was that brisket still in a cry-o-vac bag or out of a butcher shop display?
Reason I ask is normally aging a beef sub-primal means it is free of bacteria when still in cry-o-vac from the source.

Is that new refrigerator used for anything else?
Ron

• afb91
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 1 week ago #14492 by afb91
Replied by afb91 on topic Day 45 on brisket
Yes we are only using the bottom shelf for dry aging other than that all our other groceries are stored in it. When I bought it the brisket was in fact in a cryovac bag and it was washed thoroughly before transferring. Does this help at all?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 1 week ago #14493 by RRP
Well, Sir - I guess you didn't follow the very first answer in the Q & A here. My guess is your handling introduced some bacteria.

HOW CAN I ENSURE THE BEST POSSIBLE SEAL AND BOND BETWEEN THE BEEF AND THE UMAI DRY® MATERIAL?

It is very important that the entire surface of your strip loin, rib eye, or top butt/sirloin be coated with the thick, sticky proteins, just like when it is first removed from the vacuum packing in which your beef supplier received it. Do not rinse, wash or dry the surface of the beef. If your beef is wiped dry, you will have less successful sealing and bonding of UMAi Dry® material. Furthermore, you may introduce contaminants or bacteria with such a "cleaning" process. When possible, purchase your strip loin or rib eye in the vacuum packaging.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds