Poor bond, loose bag. Stay the course?

• tpang
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #14546 by tpang
This is my 1st time trying dry aging and I'm super excited, but also nervous that something is wrong.

I have a 16lb striploin in for about 10 days now and the bond has gone from about 50-60% range down to probably about 20%. Some areas never completely bonded in the first place and the meat under those sections appears dry and darker but still very soft. There's a bit of funk to it, but I don't know if that smell is normal and frankly it smells good to me for now. I also notice that my fridge has been running on the cooler side, around 34F.

Should I consider re-sealing with another bag? Stay the course? Help! Thank you!

Day 1 putting into the fridge: Day 1
Day 10 without bond intact: Day 10

Todd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tpang
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #14547 by tpang
Replied by tpang on topic Poor bond, loose bag. Stay the course?
After reading previous posts and re-reading the FAQ I also realized that I've had the fatcap on the wrong side! Will flip over and hope for a renewed seal.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #14559 by Gen123
Replied by Gen123 on topic Poor bond, loose bag. Stay the course?
Looking at your day 10 photo, it looks pretty good to me. Try not to handle it too much as you may accidentally cut a hole. As the moderators always say, use your nose as a guide, the meat shouldn’t smell bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tpang

• tpang
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 1 week ago #14594 by tpang
Replied by tpang on topic Poor bond, loose bag. Stay the course?
Thanks Gen123! It passes the smell test and I'm gonna open it up in about a week (~30 days) so the striploin doesn't get too dry.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds