New to Dry Aging - Should I be concerned?

• PA-Josh
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #14553 by PA-Josh
So I recently began to try my hand at dry aging earlier this month. I have a half a NY Strip that I started on 04/04/19. The vacuum worked great and I got a good bond to the meat.

Here’s my concern. I’m now almost 3 weeks into the process and I don’t see/feel a tough “bark” to the outside of my meat.

I have the meat in my refrigerator, which has a temperature of 36 degrees. Over the last couple of days I notice that there is blood puddles that seem to be forming that we’re not there initially.

The meat has turned a dark brown and appears to be aging from what I have read, but the blood appearing has me concerned.

Any help is appreciated, even if it’s to let me know I’m being paranoid! Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #14555 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic New to Dry Aging - Should I be concerned?
Well... you have us concerned. After three weeks, you should have a good dark mahogany brown bark. Any purge (aka "blood") should be well and dried by now.
Are you aging in a modern frost free refrigerator in regular use located within a consistently room temperature environment? It sounds as though it is either not a set up which manages humidity -or- it isn't cycling frequently.

Dry aging geek

• PA-Josh
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #14556 by PA-Josh
Replied by PA-Josh on topic New to Dry Aging - Should I be concerned?
Thanks for the advise. The refrigerator is only a year old (purchased new from Lowe’s May 2018).

I’m thinking it may be a humidity issue. I started the meat in the crisper drawer, but the drawer does not have a humidity control.

If I move the meat out of the drawer to the main fridge do you think the meat will still be fine? Or, is the meat a waste?

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds