Sanity check

• WsmataU
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 5 days ago - 3 weeks 5 days ago #14560 by WsmataU
Sanity check was created by WsmataU
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPWMOIQLKi0OuGdBp00s6y4x50TnAUHehY-3ZFI Thanks to the forums here, I've done a couple different subprimals with excellent results. I started small with a choice ribeye and went through a prime NYStrip last year.

Long story short, I received a gift certificate to Snake River Farms and ordered their gold grade NYStrip that weighed in around 14 lbs. I'm approaching the end of the process (50 days) and am noticing the bag "letting go" on the fatcap side of the beef. The underside is still attached as expected and I don't smell any significant odor (But I haven't opened the bag either).

Here is a pic. It's all or nothing now, and if I lose a $500 piece of meat I'm going to be deeply disappointed!

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPWMOIQLKi0OuGdBp00s6y4x50TnAUHehY-3ZFI
Last edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by WsmataU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #14561 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Sanity check
By 50 days, the meat will have shrunk away from the UMAi Dry® membrane—particularly the virtually myoglobin-free fat cap.

Second, we recommend aging Choice grade beef for 35-45 day to yield optimal, consistent results.

Third, UMAi Dry® is not a vacuum bag, and provides a protective environment even in a floppy bag.

For special cuts and longer aging it is best to contact more experienced persons with broader applications of UMAi Dry® on the Facebook groups UMAi® Salami, Charcuterie and Dry Aged Steak or Dry Aged Steak. They will surely be excited to hear about your extraordinary experience.

Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.296 seconds