• Alistar3000
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 1 day ago #14570 by Alistar3000
Meat is curing but bags haven't arrived was created by Alistar3000
Hi,

I'm getting started with UMAI bags, and have started curing a pork loin and part of a leg, ready for when my UMAI bags arrive.

Unfortunately they seem to have gone on a world tour on their way to me, and now appear to have been stuck in customs for the last week.

The meat has reached the end of the cure time (according to the lomo and proscuitini recipes on this site) and I still don't have the bags to seal them in.

Should I just leave them in the cure and wait, or take them out of the cure and just try and hang them to air dry until the bags arrive? Or another option I haven't though of?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alistar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 weeks 1 day ago #14571 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic Meat is curing but bags haven't arrived
Alistar,
First of all, allow the meat to continue to cure. It really cannot cure too long, but certainly will not improve if removed from cure before the you have the UMAi Dry® membrane protection.
You certainly don't want the surface drying before you put the meat in the UMAi Dry® because that moisture is the only thing that is essential for successful UMAi Dry® use. Since the material is a membrane, it needs that sticky moist myoglobin to adhere to--UMAi Dry® is not am vacuum bag, and will not behave like one.
We are so sorry the UMAi Dry® shipment went on a world tour--and didn't take you along!! Please let us know when you finally have them in hand.

Dry aging geek
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alistar3000

• Alistar3000
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 1 day ago #14572 by Alistar3000
Replied by Alistar3000 on topic Meat is curing but bags haven't arrived
Great, thanks! I was a little worried that it was possible to over cure the meat, but will leave it as is until the bags eventually show up.

So far they've visited Minneapolis, Saint Paul, Chicago, Tokyo, San Francisco, and have arrived in New Zealand. They're well travelled bags by now.

Cheers

Alistar

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds