• Lesliev
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 2 days ago #14612 by Lesliev
Curing charcuterie in food saver bags was created by Lesliev
Hello, hope I am not asking a question already answered but I couldn't find a search that addressed my question.
When reading the drybag charcuterie recipes for items that require curing for a couple of weeks before drybagging the recipes recommend putting the meat and cure into a ziplock or food saver bag. I have been using a food saver bag and vacuum sealing it then after a couple of weeks opening the bag and following the recommended recipe for the dryagging process. My question is am I misunderstanding the food saver option and really don't need to (or prerhaps shouldn't) vacuum bag during the curing process and just leaving the curing meat in a sealed bag is good enough?

Hope someone can advise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 week 2 days ago #14613 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic Curing charcuterie in food saver bags
Charcuterie requires two steps:
1. Curing in a blend of 3% kosher salt and 0.25% Instacure #2 (to weight of meat), with preferred blend of herbs and spices for two weeks
2. Drying to target weight loss of 35-40% of original weight

You should do this all in a refrigerator.

While you can cure in any sealed contained, sealing the meat and salts in a vacuum bag both evens out the cure and “drives” the cure into the meat due to the vacuum.

Once the cure has had time to completely penetrate the meat, you remove from the container or, preferred, vacuum bag and rinse.

While wet and sticky, you apply UMAi Dry® membrane for drying.

Does that make the process clearer?

Dry aging geek
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lesliev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds