• PK
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 days 21 hours ago #14628 by PK
Bag not touching meat was created by PK
My first time attempting dry aging, I did a 12lb strip that turned out great. Thought I would now try a boneless rib steak. This time I don’t know what it was, but after wasting one dry bag, i was able to get it on the second time around. It’s been in the fridge for 5 days everything looks go so far, majority of it is changing colour. The only issue I have is the bag isn’t touching the meat where the hills and valleys are (got that term after searching this forum) from where the bones where. In those areas the meat hasn’t started turning any colour yet. Do those areas take longer to turn? Should I re-bag it and try get it to adhere to those areas? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
5 days 14 hours ago #14630 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Bag not touching meat
You are fine - the valleys in boneless meat is quite common so relax!!!
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: PK

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 days 1 hour ago #14632 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic Bag not touching meat
Don't waste another UMAi Dry® bag. The UMAi Dry® membrane exchanges both moisture and oxygen. It isn't a vacuum bag, and doesn't need full contact.
You should start with the weight resting on the meat side, fat cap up. That was gravity is giving you the best contact on those "valleys". Leave it that way for a week or so, then gently flip.

Dry aging geek
The following user(s) said Thank You: PK

• PK
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 days 22 hours ago #14636 by PK
Replied by PK on topic Bag not touching meat
Thanks for the reply. To be clear, the reason why I ended up throwing the one bag out was it wouldn’t seal. The first time using umai it worked perfect. This time not so much. I kept trying to seal but wouldn’t. I cut the bag down a bit more each time until there wasn’t enough left. I made sure the bag was dry on the sealing area, not sure what it was.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds