Going away for the weekend

• ConorMc
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #14668 by ConorMc
Going away for the weekend was created by ConorMc
First dry aging experiment was a big success for ribeye. I'm planning the next meat experiment and am thinking I'm going to try to dry age strip steak. Any thoughts for or against this?

More importantly, I have a better understanding of the process now and why the meat should go into an often used/opened refrigerator in a warm-ish part of the house. My question is, how often is often enough? If the fridge is opened once her day is that enough? And what about if I go away for a long weekend and the fridge doesn't get opened for a few days. Is that acceptable? Is there a recommended routine, like it's more important to open the fridge often during the first few days and I can maybe go away for a long weekend towards the end?

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #14669 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Going away for the weekend
That only once a day and none over a long weekend will not be a problem. The suggestion of frequently opened was meant more as a warning to "that old refrigerator in the garage or basement" which never gets opened. As long as the refrigerator in use is a frost free one in proper working order you are fine. Relax! And BTW be sure to tell the forum about your strip results. Just remember since they are thin as compared to a ribeye you don't necessarily need to age it longer.
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: ConorMc

• ConorMc
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #14670 by ConorMc
Replied by ConorMc on topic Going away for the weekend
Ron,
Thanks for the reply that makes me feel more comfortable going away for a long weekend during this next round of dry aged meat. How many days would you typically age a strip for?
Thanks!

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #14671 by RRP
I've tried several lengths and by measuring the percentage of weight loss it seems 35 days as well as 45 days have been identical for several agings. Granted the 45 days probably have been more tender but not that much different than the 35 days for me.
Ron

• ConorMc
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #14672 by ConorMc
Replied by ConorMc on topic Going away for the weekend
Oh wow so if 35-45 days is the 'short' length for strip, how long do you typically age ribeye for?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #14673 by RRP
From my past dry aging experiences I personally like 45 days for a ribeye as well as for sirloin.
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds