Steak safety question

• ForzaNapoli
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 3 days ago #14696 by ForzaNapoli
Steak safety question was created by ForzaNapoli
Hi folks, dry aging newbie here. So I bought a 7 bone Angus prime rib eye, from the butcher in the cryovac bag for my first run with the Umai system. I went through 3 bags (was having difficulty getting my foodsaver sealer to seal the bag after vacuuming). I had the meat out from the time I left the butcher, to the time I got the meat in the fridge, it was about 2 hours and 45 minutes.

I got the seal perfect on the third bag and I have my meat sitting nicely in my fridge (day 3).

My question is, is the meat safe to eat considering it was out of the fridge for that long (on my kitchen counter, 73 degree house). I'm hoping I didn't waste $200. I've asked a bunch of my bbq buddies and they said it's totally fine but wanted to ask you guys.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 days ago #14697 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic Steak safety question
We would have to agree with your buddies. Hard to give a definitive answer without a micro bacterial analysis, but you should be fine, don’t you think?

Dry aging geek

• ForzaNapoli
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 3 days ago #14698 by ForzaNapoli
Replied by ForzaNapoli on topic Steak safety question
I think it's fine but wanted to get your guys thoughts on this. If anyone else has been in a similar situation, would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks in advance!

• ForzaNapoli
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 2 days ago #14700 by ForzaNapoli
Replied by ForzaNapoli on topic Steak safety question
Bump

More
2 weeks 11 hours ago #14757 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic Steak safety question
So? What did you end up deciding? If you went ahead and aged, what was the color and scent? You would have been able to tell within the first week or so if the color went grey rather than brown, and if the scent when sniffing the surface was "rot" rather than "earthy funk."
It would be great to know what you observed.

Dry aging geek

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds