2 days in and white mold spots starting to form...

• DryAging in Vic
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #14723 by DryAging in Vic
So I’m not new to dry aging with the UMAi bags, but I really pulled a rookie move the other day.

Bought 3 whole crypto-vac striplions from my local butcher, brought them home and chucked them in the fridge for a day while I moved my trusty Dry aging fridge to our new house. I’ve used this fridge for a couple dozen slabs and it has worked flawlessly. I added multiple fans, and a large salt basin in the bottom drawer for air movement and moisture extraction. Also have LED lighting and a webcam to monitor the progress. :P

Anyways, had company over, so my attention was not 100% on what I was doing, while I was prepping everything to transfer over into the UMAi bags. Upon sealing the first slab up, I realized I forgot to wash the cryo-vac big prior to transferring the meat into the UMAi bag. Marked the bag, and fixed my mistake with the next 2 slabs. That was Saturday. Last night I opened the fridge and noticed the marked slab had a number of patches of white mould all over both sides, on the fat cap and on the inside the bag. :unsure: :dry:

Now I in a bit of a quandary of what to do with this meat. I have thought about pulling the meat, trimming on multiple cutting boards as not to re-cross-contaminate the meat with the mold, before rebagging it. I also read something about wiping the meat down with apple cider vinegar to sterilize the meat.

The other slabs looked fine last night, will inspect again when I get home.
Last edit: 5 months 1 week ago by DryAging in Vic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
5 months 1 week ago #14725 by RRP
It seems very strange that patches of mold could have shown up in a 24 hour period!
Ron

• DryAging in Vic
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 months 1 week ago #14726 by DryAging in Vic
Replied by DryAging in Vic on topic 2 days in and white mold spots starting to form...
That was my thought, I'll take pics tonight.

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 months 1 week ago #14728 by BagLady
You sure are right to be in a quandary. Despite your experience and your set up, it sure sounds like you got some contamination going on there. Mold is seldom a good sign on fresh meat, particularly right at the beginning of the process.
“Abandon ship!” Is all I can think to imagine.

UMAi Dry is designed to be used In a modern frost free refrigerator in regular use located within a consistently room temperature environment. Fans and salt can replace the humidity management of the proper compressor.

Dry aging geek

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 months 1 week ago #14729 by BagLady
One further note: from Ulta grow outside that meat so quickly, you should be very concerned about the temperature control in your fridge. It should run between 34 and 38°F consistently. From mold to grow that quickly, guaranteed that fridge is running well over 42°

Dry aging geek

• DryAging in Vic
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 months 1 week ago #14730 by DryAging in Vic
Replied by DryAging in Vic on topic 2 days in and white mold spots starting to form...
Fridge temperature sits between 0.8-1.8°C and does not fluctuate.

The fridge is a modern frost-free unit but because I tend to do multiple cuts of meat for different lengths of time, a dedicated fridge was required. The fans and salt are just to ensure circulation and moisture control. The salt barely absorbs any moisture from the fridge

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GVUKXQ4sYWynhYjuDeAPUgVCH3SIXi-Y/view?usp=drivesdk

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds