Meat safety question

• Daniels612
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #14783 by Daniels612
Meat safety question was created by Daniels612
Hi everyone, it’s my first time dry ageing and I have a rump cap that has been in my fridge for around three weeks now.

I had tied around the rump cap with string on the outside of the bag so the meat wouldn’t flatten too much and loose it’s shape.

I thought everything was going great until I took it out tonight to have a look at it and took the ties off - I am now concerned that I have stuffed it up because when tying the meat up I folded the extra loose membrane back over the meat side of the cut.

The end piece of the meat has a nice black bark and the fat cap also looks ok but the meaty side that had the membrane doubled over is still, red, soft and has still has blood around it that I can push around!

Will this be ok to eat if I simply fold the bad a different way and let the air hit this side of the membrane or has the meat where the membrane wasn’t been exposed to the air properly gone off?

Please help!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #14784 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Meat safety question
My only concern is when you say the end is black. Did you really mean a deep mahogany in color?
Ron

• Daniels612
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #14785 by Daniels612
Replied by Daniels612 on topic Meat safety question
Hi Ron, thanks for your reply - yes a rich mahogany would be a better description

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #14786 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Meat safety question
Good! Then from here on I think you are fine - but as I always say - quit handling the bagged meat since you are risking tearing the bag!
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds